Preliminary!

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
lilykmitch

Preliminary!

Post by lilykmitch »

The website im redesigning is https://blinkee.com. The images, colors, typography is all pretty crazy and doesn't match the product I feel like. Some ideas that i am working with here is making a dark background and having the words and images pop off the page with neon colors like those glow toys do. I am also thinking about knocking out the background for some of these pictures i have to make them fit together better. I want to use some expressive type for some of the most important keywords to make everything cohesive. These are no where close to being finished but these are some general layouts i am working with for now.

Concept 1 desktop
prelim01_ex01_web_home.png
prelim01_ex01_web_inside.png
Concept 1 mobile
prelim01_ex01_mobile_home.png
prelim01_ex01_mobile_inside.png
Concept 2 desktop
prelim01_ex02_web_home.png
prelim01_ex02_web_inside.png
Concept 2 mobile
prelim01_ex02_mobile_home.png
prelim01_ex02_mobile_inside.png
Lily Mitchell :geek:

Cole_Richards

Re: Preliminary!

Post by Cole_Richards »

Hi Lily, these look great, in comparison to the original they are very different, but they look good, I might work with the background and images a bit more and make the title of the website a tad bigger, I like the search bar and the layout of the navigation, I would go with the first one over the second, well done!
Cole Richards (Betes Boy)

kpargs

Post by kpargs »

Hi Lily,
hmmmm...dark version one only because their blinkeez and glow in the dark
Aloha --------------Kirsten Pargas

Fatkid53

Post by Fatkid53 »

I would gravitate to the first design, it has a cool black background for the lights to naturally exist and pop off the page. I would take a look maybe at the search bar, it is actually bigger than your logo for a sales site and throws off the balance of the composition for me a bit. The other thing I would take a look at is your h1 font, the readability is not the best at that size and it may cause confusion. Otherwise a vast improvement over the previous site and alot cleaner.
James P. Cowan

Samantha_Thomas

Post by Samantha_Thomas »

I would go with the first design simply because a dark background makes it easier to connect with glow-in-dark objects. If you still want to add color to the website besides the pictures, maybe some slight dashes of neon borders around things like the words or search bar or just neon lines. Giving the website its own glow-in-the-dark element to it. Speaking of the search bar, it's big compared to the logo on the page, so if you swap the size of those two, it might look better.
Samantha Thomas

zandrews

Post by zandrews »

Hi Lily!

Oooooh what a fun redesign choice (and most definitely did they need a redesign haha). Both of your sets are so fun and I like both. Originally I was leaning towards the second one but I think the first one is ultumately better as the dark background contrast with the product and image ties in with the light up characteristics of Blinkee. In terms of what you should changes/expand on - I would make the hero image of the home page just one large image as the multiple images clumped together just feels a little chaotic and picking one solid, strong hero image would make the layout over all feel more clean and nicer to look at. Also I love your font choice but perhaps foir the navigation elements like the cart, use a simple not decoratve font so that that the nav is easier to read (when text is that small, the more fun fonts dont tend to work as well as like a headline or a logo).

Looking forward to seeing which set you choose and how you expand on it! Great work! :)

squidgola33

Post by squidgola33 »

I really like your first concept. the menu and selection at the top of the page is much easier to navigate than the second design where it is to the side of the page. also, I think that it would be more professional looking if the images were scaled to be the same size instead of a bunch of differently sized images. it would bring more cohesiveness to the design.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

That kid with the duck gun is up to no good. We all know it.

Oh you're gonna love the prerecorded class I put up tonight (Mar 31st), lily. It's all about CSS effects, including glows. Lots of glows. Have fun!

I'm in for that first design. Not only does it looks like a dark room for dark deeds, but it has a Spirit Halloween trashiness that I think is necessary for a site like this. I love that blobby type you chose for the titles and subheads. It looks like a bunch of glowing balloons and or the kind of type you'd find on signs around a roadside fireworks vendor. Perfect! The pictures are great, too. There's something off about them. Like the people in them are being compelled to do those things. It all adds up to a properly unsettling vibe. The whole site is actually pretty easy to navigate. Your navigation is well placed and easy to read. Your layout is pretty simple and clean so the eye falls easily through it.

This is gonna sound strange, but I'd recommend ripping out the dark blue and going all black. Let your object placement determine the layout. You'll get the same or better contrast and it'll look like a dark room with all of your objects lit up. Now that you know how, I'd recommend copious amounts of CSS glows of course. Make your sample product images on the inner page all the same size and make their combined width run from the "P" in "Products" to the "t" in "Cart".

Not bad!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Elle Barre

Post by Elle Barre »

Hi Lily, my daughter and her buddies would love this site for all their RAVE campouts and concerts they go to. Perfect 60s font choice, a la, there's one artist who designed so many Grateful Dead posters and album covers with that font: it's the partying all night font, RAVES. I like the colorful background one better... it's easier to look at the glowsticks with the leavening of the pink background. Really nice, really simple, people in there. Very nicely interpreted from their SCARY original website. :- )
~ Elle Barre

James Hill

Post by James Hill »

Hey,
Like the designs you have my favorite is concept 2. It feels more like a party, though dont vibe with the black box with text. Also text could be thicker. Great Job.