Project 03 Prelim 1

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Anayik

Project 03 Prelim 1

Post by Anayik »

Hey guys, here's my concepts for my bad website redesign.

For this project I chose to redesign the "Reno Magick" website. Reno Magick is a small business in midtown Reno selling all sorts of pagan and witchcraft supplies as well as candles, incense and stones. They are located right down the street from my old apartment and I used to love going there to get incense. I love the super friendly and genuine vibe there but when I saw their website I knew they needed help. I actually think my first concept is more fitting of their vibe, earthy, not too sparkly or trendy. But I honestly love my second concept more and would love to build it.

Obviously I went for two ends of the "Magick" spectrum here. One is tantalizing, earthy and dark. The other is energetic and pretty with lots of white space and a bit more modern. I wanted to go for an enchanted forest feel for my first one and crystal, feminine hippie for my second one lol. Hope you guys enjoy.

Oh! For my "about" page on my second concept I want to build it so that the viewer has to scroll and make the moth fly up and off the page in order to view the "about" info.
Attachments
p3-11.png
p3-10.png
p3-09.png
p3-08.png
p3-07.png
p3-06.png
p3-05.png
p3-04.png
p3-02.png
p3-01.png
Kiana Bohm

Kassandra

Re: Project 03 Prelim 1

Post by Kassandra »

Hi Kiana,
Both of your designs are great, but your first design is visually appealing and easier to read. I'm also loving the colors of the mountain, butterfly, and font you picked for your first design. As for your second design, it can still work but getting rid of the bold and italics for the body text. It's readable at the moment, but I would prefer it to be regular or just mild-bold, not both bold and italic. I am digging the cursive font for the name of the website and the sections. Great job!
Kassandra Fuentes

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh nice! I really like this first design with the split complimentary cloud/mountains.

You're right it is "energetic and pretty". It uses contrast very well and gives you so much room to work with. The split complimentary purple, orange, yellow, and white colors are a tremendously attractive color scheme that works well together. You have plenty of white space, both literally, and figuratively to do whatever you see fit with. I really do like the white sky. It makes a great backdrop for your navigation and/or other design accents. The downward scrolling web pages are a fun bit of interactivity for your users. Your type works so well here too. I especially like the elaborate headline font. It adds the kind of fiddly detail that you would expect from a magic shop website. It's also a little mysterious which helps their vibe too. The navigation is pretty easy to see against that white background, too.

I'd recommend putting an arrow or some sort of indicator to let your audience know to drag downward on your inner pages so they can find your content. I would also recommend left alining your bodycopy on your inner pages. Your center aligned navigation is fine, though. I keep bouncing back and forth on if your inner page text should be bolder. I can read it, but it's not easy when it gets to the "textury" part of your cloud/mountains. Maybe try thickening it up slightly to see if it becomes a little more legible.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

kmohara5190

Post by kmohara5190 »

Hi Kiana,
I love your first design, I think it really fits the theme of the business! The only thing I would change is the boldness of the “About” font, I think it could be a little bolder so that is stands out more. Great job!
Kierann O'Hara

Krueckl

Post by Krueckl »

Hi Kiana,
I think you did a great job with both themes for your design. I love your first one. The colors give a nice airy feel. There is lots of room to breath but it doesn't feel like too much. I also like the font that you used. I think it could be helpful for the viewer to add the address and phone number at the bottom like you did in the second layout. Looks great so far!
:) KATHY RUECKL

jacklyn_yamine

Post by jacklyn_yamine »

Hi Kiana,
I really like your first design. Those colors are so nice and complementary of each other and is much more open and inviting, plus that moth is a nice touch with a similar color scheme. Because the second design has a darker theme it is a little harder to read, but I do like both font choices for each design and think that you could even try the second font on the first design. I love your simple and minimal home page on the first design. The only thing I would change is the body text of your inner pages, right now they are aligned center, I would keep them left aligned or justified because that is more legible and would give you a more uniform look rather than having the paragraphs have some lines longer than others.
JacklynYamine

gavin_clouser

Post by gavin_clouser »

I like the first design much more than the second. The second is just hard to read. The headline and body copy fades into the background. But the first design is clean and simple. I think you should pursue that one.
gclouser701

Hamistani

Post by Hamistani »

Hello Kiana,
I really like the first design you have. It is clean and I love the moth and the mountains. The font choices are fantastic, and the colors go so well together. On the inner page, it is a bit hard for me to read against the bright background. I would dim the colors, so the font stands out more. Great job!
- Heather Amistani
Ehhh, What's up Doc? ;)

ItsAllisxn

Post by ItsAllisxn »

Hi Kiana,

I really like the first set of layouts you have. Reminds me a lot of the Golden Ridge on the video game Celeste. The color palette is working well together and I really love how the moth ties in. On the about page, it's a bit hard to read the text. I'd suggest keeping the mountains down, and maybe adding some imagery that reflects the business. I'm really looking looking forward to see how the moth flies up and off the page, that's going to be really cool. Great work!
Allison Hartmann - Kachow 8-)

it's_crysta

Post by it's_crysta »

Hi Kiana! I really love your first layout, the font, the colors, the imagery, and the use of white space. It looks really nice and makes me want to click in and look around. Great work!
it's Crysta (Clark)

i feel like i'm on neopets again