Prelim Project 03 (ノω・、)

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Olive

Prelim Project 03 (ノω・、)

Post by Olive »

No joke the website I chose to redesign https://www.rollerkingdom.org/ suddenly had an overnight transformation :!:

so now my redesigns don't even matter (ಥ﹏ಥ)... I don't even have any screenshots of the old website to compare it to. I'm not sure what to do now since everything I was working with is basically gone and now there's less content as well. I still have the redesigns I was working with but now they don't really make sense without the old design. :cry:

I was trying to go for a neon 80's roller rink aesthetic, I favor the first one but I'm unhappy with the body text I have but I'll keep looking. Or if anyone has a font suggestion please let me know. The second design was I was trying to use the old logo and photography from the roller rink to make it more personal.

with the new design for the website, I'll definitely have to make some drastic changes (;⌣̀_⌣́)
Attachments
web02-2.jpg
web02.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-1.png
moblie 2.jpg
mobli2.jpg
mobile 1.jpg
mobil02-2.jpg
\₍ᐢ•ﻌ•ᐢ₎*・゚。 Olivia Reyes ( ^..^)ノ

Anayik

Re: Prelim Project 03 (ノω・、)

Post by Anayik »

Hi Olive,

I'm really torn. I like both of your designs a lot. Maybe they heard you were gonna redesign and took it down because it was so embarrassing lol. Either way I'm sure you could just make up some filler text and it would be fine. I think your second concept with its "Memphis" feel is my favorite. I love all the visual elements and patterns and am practically obsessed with the logo for that concept. The only thing I would say to keep in mind is that it's leaning on the feminine side and you don't want to deter potential male customers. Maybe try a different color for the Nav bar and font? Fonts are tricky...I actually think the ones you're working with look nice but once again look a little more feminine. Maybe see if you can find something a little more neutral? Best of luck! I love the neon feel, you nailed it
Kiana Bohm

Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Hi Olive,
Both of these are great! They probably realized that they needed to revamp their website lol. Again, both of these are great but I'm leaning towards your first design. I just like the colors and it just gives off the 80's vibes and lights that are on at roller places, arcades, etc. Maybe try one of the fonts below? They might or might not work.
https://www.1001fonts.com/oaklash-font.html
https://www.1001fonts.com/anasite-malela-3-font.html
Kassandra Fuentes

Krueckl

Post by Krueckl »

Hi Olive,
I can't believe the website changed just as you decided to choose it for your background. How random is that!? I really enjoy both of your designs. I think that my favorite is the one with the darkest background because the contrast makes it a lot easier to read. I love your bubbly letters for the font as well! The theme is very much for the appropriate audience and age group. Your information is clear and easy to navigate. Great job!
:) KATHY RUECKL

mtvo

Post by mtvo »

Hello Olive!
The first concept's use of pink and purple gives off major disco vibes which I think is awesome! I love that the font glows a bit and looks like neon lights. The layout is very easy to navigate and overall, very inviting. I also like the placement of the logo, however, I think it could be smaller. The only problem is that the daisy gives off too much feminine vibes and feels more catered to young girls. I like this first layout but the second concept's color choice! The font on the second layout of Roller Kingdom fits the skating theme better too.

Great job, I think you're headed in the right direction!
a foodie, lover, and an optimist (most of the time lol)

kmohara5190

Post by kmohara5190 »

Hi Olive,
I like your second design the best because the colors make it easier to read. I also really like the top of the design, it matches the business’s feel really well! The only thing that I would change is the size of the font, maybe make it bigger and narrow down the content. Good job!
Kierann O'Hara

jacklyn_yamine

Post by jacklyn_yamine »

Hi Olive,
I may not know what their site looked like before hand but I think your designs are still better than what they have right now. To me Roller Kingdom will always be the decades themed place to go roller blading with friends and have the best birthday parties and I think you captured that in both of your designs. However, I do think that things are working better visually in your second design, the one with skates rather than their current logo. The pink on the solid black is easier to read than the neon pink on a transparent purple background. I also like that you used a background pattern that matches the ones you would see at Roller Kingdom. I love the yellow and blue that you are using, they work really well together. I'm not so sure about using orange for the social media icons because nothing else is orange, maybe change it to the green that is used in the skates? The lighter shade of blue too for the navigation I think could stay that dark blue color because you have such a bright pink color behind it, so it stands apart from the background even though it's the same color and now you aren't adding in too many different colors. Be careful on your mobile, it looks like the text was smooshed together rather than resizing to fit in the header. Also, I think things could stack a little more so that the address doesn't shift from being on the right hand side to fitting below the skate. Break up the address into 2-3 lines if needed and have Roller and Kingdom sit on top of each other and be left aligned or have the skate shrink so that it fits into the space where Kingdom is indented to have that stagger effect under Roller so the address and phone have space. Last thing on the mobile, make sure things are still given a lot of space to breath, your inner page calendar looks good on desktop but the mobile version is squished leading wise where you have the schedule.
JacklynYamine

kendall_the_mann

Post by kendall_the_mann »

Hi Olive!

Geez, that sucks about the redesign! I still think your designs are incredible though! It definitely still proves your skills in designing and layout :)

I definitely favor the second design, with the calendar! It screams roller kingdom, I was so happy when I saw it! I think if you play with fonts a bit it'll be so funky and cool!

Awesome job, sorry again about the redesign!!
-Kendall Mann

gavin_clouser

Post by gavin_clouser »

I like that your website gives the vibe of what roller kingdom is. I love the pyschodelic effect. It reminds me of being a kid at roller kingdom. Some of the body copy is hard to read however
gclouser701

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh nice! I can hear the music just looking at these, Olivia. Heh! Great concepts.

I like your purple blacklight one a little better. I think it's got better atmosphere. I like it's font too. It looks less like neon and more like backlit glass. Your sans-serif handwriting bodycopy works well with your headline/navigation text. It's surprisingly legible. Looks like grease pencil writing on glass. Appropriate with your theme. Great use of transparency throughout your layout too. It makes your website look like it's printed on a window outside the skating rink and we're all peering in. Which is a great concept for a website that makes you want to go rollerskating. I really like how the background image provides most of the color and you're just complimenting it with your semi transparent glass content areas. For such a dark website it sure does have great contrast. I credit that to the way the bright images interact with the dark background. Your navigation is easy to see and use and I like your centrally placed logo in amongst your navigation buttons.

Move your bodycopy over just a touch so it's left edge matches the left edge of the "L" in "Lorem". I'd also make sure the bodycopy area on your inner page is the same width as the combined images below it so that their lefty and right edges match up. Alignments always add a little extra fizz to a design. Watch your bottom margin on your header in your computer layout, the phone number is a little tight to the bottom. Your mobile version is much better on this margin.

Good work, Olivia.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173