Changes have been made

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Lundholm

Changes have been made

Post by Lundholm »

Please check out these modified roughs http://www.grc175.com/student/fall_2011 ... /project_2 and tell me what you think of the changes. I added the silver dollars from the heading of my layout two to my layout 1. That made it look better. I removed the effects from my heading text, I don't like it as well but it's easier to read. I might play with the company name just a little and leave the address as it is, what do you think of that idea?
Also in my rightmost div where it says "2011 American Silver Eagle Available Now" it's supposed to be a news div which can be edited as needed to advertise sales, new merchandise, etc. But I changed the color of that text to black and underneath it I put a picture of the obverse side of a silver eagle but I'm thinking I should have put a picture of the reverse side instead because that's the side the eagle is on.
Anyway what's everyone think?
- Nathan Lundholm

smith206

Re: Changes have been made

Post by smith206 »

It does look like the website has something to do with coins now but I still think there could me a lot more done to make the site look more legitimate. For instance if i came across that site I would NOT feel confident giving them my credit card number to buy coins. It just lacks that professional clean look. I cant remember what the site was that the gentlemen recommended on monday but that site was clean professional and nice looking. I think the main way you can get more into that zone would be to drop the piece of paper out of your design and go from there. There are much better ways to make a site look rustic and coiny. For instance you can use photos and blend modes in photoshop to add texture to your design. I think that will make your site more successful at selling coins which in general is what you should be shooting for. Thats my opinion anyways.
Kyle Smith

Lundholm

Post by Lundholm »

By popular demand I have removed the parchment background entirely. This made the site pure white was kinda boring. But I mostly fixed that by making the news div on the right tan instead of white, to draw peoples' attention to the sales and promotions.

The navigation bar on the left is going to have tan links instead of a tan borderline on the right... I just need to design the links in Photoshop still.

The tan just seems to be a nice color to me because it's neutral yet it's a color, unlike gray which is nothing more than a tint of black or a shade of white.

I think I'm getting close to a great design... but I think I need something to separate the body from the header and footer. Might spend a few hours playing with horizontal rule lines, borders, etc until I find something that will work.
- Nathan Lundholm

Lundholm

Post by Lundholm »

I also thought about a picture of the storefront and a Google map to the store but not sure where I'd have room for it, except maybe on the bottom of the body copy div on the homepage. The homepage text only takes up half the div, I think there's room.
- Nathan Lundholm

smith206

Post by smith206 »

Looks much better imo. One other thing I noticed was your coin on the right seems to have a drop shadow when the other one doesn't. Just something to think about getting images that have the same lighting would unify the images and make the entire design stronger.
Kyle Smith

Lundholm

Post by Lundholm »

I know. I need to take my own pictures so I can apply the same lighting... but until I get that opportunity I'm going to have to use these ones as filler.

By the way if you look at the one on the bottom closely you find that that's not a drop shadow... the coin is photographed from an angle and that's the edge of it.
- Nathan Lundholm

Lundholm

Post by Lundholm »

http://www.grc175.com/student/fall_2011 ... project_2/ I finally added buttons... Yes, I know I need to play with the text positioning in my buttons a little bit... and also, what would make a good background color for the buttons to match the rest of the design? Or is white fine?
- Nathan Lundholm