Project Two Roughs

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
mminten

Project Two Roughs

Post by mminten »

I won't be in class on Monday but wanted to get my roughs up for critique. On the home pages the client has requested that the images be buttons.
sparks_museum_rough1_home.jpg
Rough 1 - Home Page
Rough 1 - Inside Page
Rough 1 - Inside Page
Rough 2 - Home Page
Rough 2 - Home Page
Rough 2 - Inside Page
Rough 2 - Inside Page
Let me know what everyone thinks. I am especially interested in hearing about ideas for colors on Rough 2. I'm not sure about the buttons in the header. The train in the logo of rough 2 may be replace with a real photo of their train.
Matthew Minten - GRC 175 - Fall 2011

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Project Two Roughs

Post by Instructor »

Thanks for posting these!

Here are my thoughts:

Design 1 - A very warm feeling design. Composition-wise it's a simple, clean, layout that is easy to follow and navigate through. Once you add in the warm wood background and the torn paper content area, it really gives it an inviting, welcoming feel.

I'm not sold on the round photos on the home page. I think the clash with the design a little bit. I'm also not fond of the buttons. They seem artificial and tacked on. I'd see if you can work 'em into the design a little better. Also on your inner page you have multiple type sizes and weights clashing around at each other. I'd pick a weight and size for each "category" (i.e. top navigation, side navigation, announcement boxes, etc.) and stick with it.

When/if you build this design I'd consider making the wood background tile and add paper tears down the side of your content area so the design floats in the middle.

Design 2 - A very clean easy to use design. Not quite as warm as design one, but a little cleaner and easier to use in my opinion. I like the burlap background and the color triad you chose. The red and green are a burgundy and forest so as to avoid triggering Christmas thoughts and the tan compliments them quite nicely. They really warm the design up.

I also prefer this version of the museum logo. I like the train coming out of the postage stamp and the type usage. It gives it a very modern feel while connecting it to Sparks' past. Good work.

The top navigation is easy to follow, though I would shrink the text some as it seems a little crowded. Your top buttons fit a lot better with this design than the buttons at the top of Design 1 did. They also could use to have the type taken down a bit as well.

My real issue with this one is in the footer. It seems big for big's sake and they type is spread out all over the place. I'd make the address one line and put the "All rights reserved ..." and the "Designed by ..." on lines underneath. Then shrink the whole footer down a bit. That'll open up more room for content. Also, watch you margins. The "All rights reserved ..." and the "Designed by ..." are too close to the edges.

Both designs have strengths and weaknesses, but I'd say Design 2 is the stronger piece. I like the torn paper and the warm feel of Design 1, but the easy to use navigation and layout and the inviting palette of colors tip the balance for me. Maybe bring the torn paper from Design 1 into Design 2?

Good work.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

brienicole

Post by brienicole »

I agree with the instructor. The second one is better. I dont love the circles. They are a bit off. ( like the first one is an oval?/) I think like with mine you can blend the two, maybe try the wood grain from the first on and add it to the second one. give it texture but keep its cleanliness. kwim. I also dont love the bevel and emboss options you have going on here. I think its a bit outdated, but that may be personal. I think a flat button is clean and will be more effective and keep it simple.

HTH you some.
~Brianne Porterfield
"What a crazy random happenstance!"

brienicole

Post by brienicole »

I agree with the instructor. The second one is better. I dont love the circles. They are a bit off. ( like the first one is an oval?/) I think like with mine you can blend the two, maybe try the wood grain from the first on and add it to the second one. give it texture but keep its cleanliness. kwim. I also dont love the bevel and emboss options you have going on here. I think its a bit outdated, but that may be personal. I think a flat button is clean and will be more effective and keep it simple.

HTH you some.
~Brianne Porterfield
"What a crazy random happenstance!"