Project 3 Preliminary - Melissa Peel

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
Peelio

Project 3 Preliminary - Melissa Peel

Post by Peelio »

Hey everyone,

I've posted my project 3 preliminary website designs. Please take a look.
  • Design A: This design's colors are based off of the existing GRC website. The design is meant to be simple and easy to navigate. The nav menus will turn lighter upon hover over with the possibilities for drop-down menus.
    proj3_prelim_a.jpg
    proj3_a_instructors.jpg
  • Design B: This design's colors and typography are based off of the Bauhaus Movement. I wanted to create a nav bar like I've never done before, so I came up with one that fit neatly at the top. And again the nav menus will turn lighter upon hover over with the possibilities for drop-down menus.
    proj3_prelim_b.jpg
    proj3_b_instructors.jpg
Thanks for the feedback!
Melissa Peel

ktwy

Re: Project 3 Preliminary - Melissa Peel

Post by ktwy »

Ew Trump :shock: Haha
I really like the first layout because it looks more like TMCC, whereas the second looks like a cool punk band website. The video is a great touch to the homepage. Good job :D

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

I would go with your first layout. It resembles the program very well and has nice imagery to it. I might do away with the tmcc logo in the header. You already have one in the footer, so I don't think a second one is necessary.
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh cool!

I like your second design better. It has an edgy, modern feel to it that really works. I also like that you changed TMCC's color to something humans can actually look at for a period of time. The color and contrast are really working well to move the eye through this thing and highlight important info. Your top bar is just a really good composition overall. The two level navigation, the placement of the logo, and the way the "Truckee Meadows Community College" breaks out of the bottom of it all conspire to make a neat collection of geometry that's pleasing to my eye. Great use of margins throughout this layout as well. Everything seems to have just the right amount of room to breathe. Your Helvetica works well with the whole design as well. It's a clear, authoritative, sans-serif font and that plays to this design's strengths.

Maybe do different background images for each page, the way your first design does. I'd recommend justifying your bodycopy blocks. It'd go better with the hard edges the design has everywhere else.

Nicely done! So what class does Big Bird teach?
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

susielang

Post by susielang »

I like both designs. I especially like the second one because of the background, layout, and colors. Great job.
Susie Lang

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

Both designs are gorgeous! I love your placeholder instructors and overall organization.

All of the different boxes of bodycopy could be moved down, away from their heads/subheads, a small smidge. The TMCC logo on the footer might do well being pushed far to the corner on the right.
I nearly wonder how the site would look if you used the TMCC green or a nice shade of light blue instead of the red you currently have; those colors would feel more inviting.
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Overall your websites are looking great you can go either way with them, but on your first layout i would make the nave bar a little less transparent or not transparent at all. As for your second layout play with the nav bar some more it does really work with the rest of your design.
Kyler Rose

Cassiebowers

Post by Cassiebowers »

I like your first design. I like the colored TMCC logo and the see thru nav bar. I like the background images with the dark nav and title bar. Also lol at your instructors page.
Cassandra Bowers

Ariesboxsye

Post by Ariesboxsye »

Your first one looks really professional and the color scheme works better than the second, plus has a more friendly feel.
~Names Aries Shelley~

Marco_Horta1

Post by Marco_Horta1 »

Hi Melissa,

Great job, your designs are looking great. I like the first design and your idea of posting a video on the index page is wonderful. I can't wait to see this project on a website, nicely done.
"Whoever is trying to bring you down, is already below you"- KUSHANDWIZDOM
Marco Horta