Project 3 Prelim: The Home Stretch

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.

Which is more striking?

window-like-concept
86%
not-window-like-concept
14%

Total votes: 7

chaytothet

Project 3 Prelim: The Home Stretch

Post by chaytothet »

I wanted to keep with my color scheme of choice and a minimalist feel. I focused on visual organization, keeping things in their boxes, and such and so forth.

For the First go of it, I wanted the window looking into the program feel. I think I was pretty successful with it, but I'm not sure I'm happy with the implied lines font I chose... Been iffy about it, but it is soooooooo pretty!! Note: For the picture of me, it will be changes throughout the different pages. I have permission from a few other people to use their photos so it should be a pretty cool representation of the current students of the GRC program which should be pretty cool.

For the Second one.. I like it, but it feels like a lot of dark. I dunno, this one seems pretty visually self explanatory....
Attachments
window-like-concept
window-like-concept
window-like-concept
window-like-concept
not-window-like-concept
not-window-like-concept
not-window-like-concept
not-window-like-concept
-Chalyn

Just because my path is different doesn't mean I'm lost
-Gerard Abrams

erika.murray

Re: Project 3 Prelim: The Home Stretch

Post by erika.murray »

I love that first layout! Your color choice is great, and the use of white space with the boxes is so nice. The photo idea will be really cool. Only thing to change would be to make those two green colors a bit more contrasting, they are pretty close in color.
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Yay! A poll. Time for me to vote. Lemmie' see here ...

Huh. Usually, I'm all about 'dat contrast, but the crisp layout and margins of your window design have won me over. I even like the title and footer type clipping the bottom of their respective boxes. Those boxes make a nice framing device for your content and a good continuity between your homepage design and your inner page design. Nice use of proximity to create groupings, especially on your inner pages. I like the locations of your photo buttons on both of your pages. It keeps continuity between the page designs while keeping the navigation accessible without dominating your inner page content. I'm curious to see what you do with your gallery/student picture space on the right of your home page.

Because your window design depends on its margins, make sure they're all on point and balanced. Those margins will make or break your design and determine visual grouping of objects. I'd recommend left justifying your type rather than center justifying it. Also, add some space between paragraphs.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

ktwy

Post by ktwy »

The first layout has a really nice color scheme! I would suggest keeping your navigation the same on each page so as to not confuse your users :)

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

Yep I like your first layout most! The window idea is excellent and I agree you've done a great job capturing it. Might try to drop the opacity of all boxes in general, idk how it would look but it's an idea?? Otherwise everything looks great!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

susielang

Post by susielang »

I like your window design a lot. Great color and layout. It really moves your eye easily through the design and has a professional feel and look to it.
Susie Lang

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

Hi,

The design titled project3preliminary_02 is the stronger design. The squares are appealing and visually convey the navigation well. The spacing and margins line up well. The squares over the image on the program overview design distract from the image, however. Try putting the images of students on top of the squares.
Melissa Peel

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

The window concept is much stronger and comes together a lot nicer, visually. The font used for all of the major, larger words is hard to read, and also has contrast issues, being white against much lighter greens. I really want to like it, but have a hard time doing so overall. It actually seems to work better for the smaller subheads, like "Program Overview," "Classes Offered" etc, as opposed to on the main title.

For all of the window button squares for navigation, what if you tried vertically and horizontally centering the labels? Instead of having them be at the tops of the boxes.
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Over all both of your websites look but your non window layout feel off some how. I think it is the bar, that the logo is on it just seems out of place and not needed.
Kyler Rose

Cassiebowers

Post by Cassiebowers »

I like your window design the colors you picked are really cool and I like the white type going off the grey header bar. I wouldn't change anything I think it looks really good.
Cassandra Bowers