Project 3 - Prelim

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
erika.murray

Project 3 - Prelim

Post by erika.murray »

Hi everyone!

It's hard to believe we're already down to the last few weeks of the semester.

I have two completely different designs for critique.
The first design is blocky and minimalist with bold colors (TMCC's 583C included).
The second design is more abstract, featuring playful purple and turquoise colors.
I am leaning towards the first design because I feel like it connects more to the current website and the GRC program.

Let me know what you think!
Attachments
rough1_home.jpg
rough1_inner.jpg
rough2_home.jpg
rough2_inner.jpg
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Project 3 - Prelim

Post by Instructor »

Ooooh nice!

I really like the geometry of your first design. Great use of the header and footer as containing objects that establish continuity across the different pages of your design. I also like the title block that has different geometric shapes in it depending on what page you're on. It is simultaneously different via the geometric images and the same via its layout. Your navigation is easy to see and use and well placed for easy movement through the site. You also use color and contrast well. The blue actually works well with TMCC's questionable green. The white and black make for good divisions and easy grouping. You've used margins in a really subtle way that divides your homepage into sections just by proximity. That's the kind of quiet design touch that I love to see.

I'd recommend justifying your type on your inner page. How is your inner page navigation going to function with only two buttons at the top?

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

ktwy

Post by ktwy »

I can tell those blue boxes are definitely your style, but I am totally drawn to the bright colors in your second design. Both look beautiful btw :)

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

Your first design is more professional although I love your second design most. Which ever one you choose, it'll turn out great! If you do decide to go with the first design, you might try to incorporate that blue into the additional page.
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

Hi,

Both designs are clean and professional. Both could be applied in different situations and work well. For the purpose of project 3 however, rough 1 is stronger. The square navigation blocks are a nice addition to the geometric theme. The typefaces and graphics unify the design. The design could use less 583 C, maybe a few small b&w images instead of the green bars.
Melissa Peel

susielang

Post by susielang »

Both designs are really cool. I am favoring the first one since the shapes work really well with the layout. Very good choice in typeface and color.
Susie Lang

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

Both designs are gorgeous and work really well! As drawn to the second one as I am, I find that I prefer the first one, with the boxes, more. My only recommended change would be to, on the inner page, add more padding between some of the elements. The bodycopy feels sort of squished inbetween the "What"/"When"/"How" bars, and the "What, When and How" subhead itself could be farther away from the "What" bar. There's some spare space at the bottom above the footer; you may be able to get away with sliding some elements down instead of having to resize.
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Your Websites are looking good, I am learning more towards the first layout as it is looking nicer and just sceems to be alot cleaner compared the other one.
Kyler Rose

Cassiebowers

Post by Cassiebowers »

I like your first design. I like your use of colors and the boxes. It looks professional but still fun and works well for TMCC's Graphics program. I can't see anything to change about it.
Cassandra Bowers

Ariesboxsye

Post by Ariesboxsye »

Your first option really grabs me, the use of bright and dark colors really make the site pop. The way you layout your navigation is amazing as well, I worry you might lose them as you add more.
~Names Aries Shelley~