Project 2 Preliminary Critique - Peelio

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Peelio

Project 2 Preliminary Critique - Peelio

Post by Peelio »

Hello Everybody,

The website I am redesigning for project 2 is http://www.sierrasafarizoo.org/default.html
    • grc175_project02_bad_website.jpg
The competing site is http://animalark.org/.
  • The first design has a more sophisticated color scheme. It targets individuals as well as families interested in viewing exotic animals.
    • The "home" page:
      grc175_project02_prelim_design1_home_mp.png
      The "contact" page:
      grc175_project02_prelim_design1_contact_mp.png
  • The second design is more targeted towards the family experience of going to the zoo.
    • The "home" page:
      grc175_project02_prelim_design2_home_mp.png
      The "contact" page:
      grc175_project02_prelim_design2_contact_mp.png
Looking forward to your comments, thank you!
Melissa Peel

Kyler_Rose

Re: Project 2 Preliminary Critique - Peelio

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Overall Thought: Great Job on your websites. I think you could go either way, but I like the design of the home page for your second template and the contact page of your first template so maybe try mixing elements from both of them together. Either way I cant think any way to improve either of your websites.
Kyler Rose

Jose_M

Post by Jose_M »

Peelio,
I think these are both strong designs and there isn't anything for me to tell you to change or adjust. Everything is nice and crisp and easy to read and navigate. Two thumbs up.

Jose Macias.
Jose Macias.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

You're late to the party. Image

Though you did bring two really nice layouts! I think I like your second one better. The larger content area under your header gives you much more layout flexibility. I like the way you color code based on your feature photo too. That's something you can carry forward into your inner pages as well. Your "featured photo and then photo collage" header is a strong choice and quickly establishes a theme as well as tantalizing visitors with what they might see at the zoo. The margins in this composition are basically picture perfect. Everything has just the right amount of room without losing cohesion. But is establishes sections and hierarchy right off the bat. Your colors work well too. They capture the iridescence of the peacock and then translate that into a super clean design that informs and interests it's users. Your navigation is well places and easy to use (and nicely vertically centered). The black bar on the left does a good job of quickly highlighting important information and news that potential visitors would want to know.

On your inner page, I like the top navigation and the layout of the "Special Thanks To:" section on your first design inner page better. I'd recommend bringing both of those elements to the inner page on your second design. I'm not sold on the middle navigation.

Excellent job!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

JulianEmme

Post by JulianEmme »

Either of these would work, they are both strong color-wise and typographically, I tend to go towards the second one a little more just because of the color scheme. For the inside page I'm not sure I like having the nav down low like that, it's unconventional and I'm not sure I would like that on a zoo website, I feel functionality should be a little more premiere. Great job!
Julian Emme

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

WOW! Both layouts are spectacular, you really did great work!

Personally I like the first layout more, the orange is more inviting and I love that Lion pic. :D Your use of space is legendary and I love the side vertical image stack, super cool. If I got super picky, double check margin spacing, other than that don't touch it!!!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

These are both fantastic! I love your visual organization and use of colors and photos.
The only thing I would say is: for your second design, on the contact page, what if you made the text box for the contact paragraph less wide? Make it thinner enough to where the right side of the paragraph aligns up with either the right side of the map or the left side of the banner (I would recommend the map).
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================

ktwy

Post by ktwy »

Wow! Your designs are phenomenal! They look like they have pretty similar layouts apart from the color scheme and pictures, but I'm drawn toward the second with the peacock. I really like warm green color. You did a fantastic job :D

Ltrueworthy

Post by Ltrueworthy »

The second design with the peacock is blowing my mind. I love all the pictures of the animals without over crowing it. The colors and how the layout is set up is beautiful. It definitely is a viewer friendly layout which gets the zoo's highlights across easily. Both layouts are great but I am loving the second version best.
Good Job
Lea Trueworthy

erika.murray

Post by erika.murray »

Both of these layouts do a great job of redesigning the original site. I like the lion layout the best. The colors work well together, and the typefaces are nice. The column of animal photos works well. Everything is really neat. One thing to improve is to make the sponsor logos smaller and make it so that it is on one line instead of two. Great job!
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray