[Project 2] Preliminary

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
SerenDark

[Project 2] Preliminary

Post by SerenDark »

Hello!

So, the website I chose to recreate was Zombo.com, a really old Flash site that gained meme fame.
http://www.zombo.com/

The concept of the site was to be a parody of other websites at the time, and it was originally a joke between faculty and students.
It merely plays an neverending looping Flash on its home page while a voice clip plays. After a while, a link to sign up for a newsletter appears, and clicking it brings you to a page that says such a service is unavailable, continuing its humor.

I wanted to keep some of its nonsensical design choices in my recreation, but also while modernizing them. Zombocom is also very plain and devoid of content. I want to try avoid adding much to it beyond what I think might be necessary.
sleek1_home.jpg
sleek1_about.jpg
Text generally shouldn't be right-aligned if you want it to be readable, for example. It's a conscious decision to make deliberate, questionable design choices, but while making the site look "prettier" compared to the original. Maybe it's also some sort of parody on current web design, but I haven't thought that far yet, beyond extreme minimalism, being artsy, and appealing to mobile viewing.
fun1_home.jpg
fun1_about.jpg
fun1_dropdown_example.jpg
That being said, these designs could use some work, I think. The black and red one seems to "feel" better overall, but I'm not yet certain about either. They feel unfinished, as opposed to being merely intentionally bad, I think. Input would be appreciated!

I took inspiration from the following two sites:
https://zurb.com/
http://www.hugeinc.com/
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================

Ltrueworthy

Re: [Project 2] Preliminary

Post by Ltrueworthy »

I love the green background, it is much easier to read and gets the point across much faster. I do think that you are missing something though, maybe add a cartoon zombie brain or something like that in the bottom corner of the page. I think some sort of zombie related image would definitely put the whole thing together.
Great Job!
Lea Trueworthy

erika.murray

Post by erika.murray »

The green layout has a nice color scheme and typeface choice. I also like the dropdown, as it makes the page focus on the text instead of the menu. Your dark layout is too eerie in my opinion, I wouldn't necessarily think "humor" if I saw it. For the green layout, I would work on making the dropdown drop horizontally rather than vertically so that it doesn't cover the content (or move the content to the left).
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

susielang

Post by susielang »

Green layout has a nice color scheme and also a better feeling. Adding images may help. It does feel like the layout needs more. But I think it is going in the right direction.
Susie Lang

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I like your sleek design. It has a subtle horror that works well with the site's content. Ostensibly it's a super clean design, but the colors and glows make it vaguely unsettling. The black, white, and red works well to promote a slight feeling of dread. Your glows give the whole thing a "late night in the fog" feel which lends it a air of mystery. Your type is perfect as well, it looks like a combination of a typewriter typeface and some vintage neon. It's easy to read and I can pick up a lot of subtlety. Your navigation is super easy to see and use. Great margins throughout also. They're extra wide without loosing the unity of the design. It almost exhales at you.

The content seems slightly off center. I'd recommend centering it or making it's right alignment more obvious. I'd be interested to see some photos as well perhaps.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

Personally I like your second green layout better. I feel as though it's clean and easy to navigate. Your first layout is well constructed too however I would change the type color from blood red to a lighter red. The red type is hard to read on the black background. Overall nice, clean, simple layout!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

JulianEmme

Post by JulianEmme »

I like the way the first one looks, type choices are nice as well as color schemes. I don't really get the joke but that's okay. Both feel like they are missing something, maybe adding in a photo or illustration would help fill them out. The second one reminds me of the Reno zombie Crawl designs.
Julian Emme

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

The fun, green design is easier to navigate than the sleek design. The contrast of the green and black work great. A bright, flashing .gif could bring in an element of the original website to the redesign. The typefaces work well to add visual interest.
Melissa Peel

Jose_M

Post by Jose_M »

SerenDark,
I like them sleek web-page better, it reads more like a website than the other design. The one thing to include is adding an image that matches the color scheme.

Jose Macias.
Jose Macias.

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Overall the Color of your second design is much better than the other. Other than that I feel like your site is very plan and could use more design choices in it. Your first template is hard to read with text align right. The nav bar on both sites are good, but the body of the websites still need a lot of work.
Kyler Rose