Project two Layout Roughs

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Ariesboxsye

Project two Layout Roughs

Post by Ariesboxsye »

Here are my two choices going forward in redesigning Yale University Art page. I wanted to stick to to a similar theme that Yale is using throughout their web pages, being that the art page feels disconnected with its current design my goal was to bring a unity to the main website of Yale University for those looking into the program.
Attachments
1st Home Page
1st Home Page
1st Additional
1st Additional
2nd Home Page
2nd Home Page
2nd Additional
2nd Additional
~Names Aries Shelley~

erika.murray

Re: Project two Layout Roughs

Post by erika.murray »

I love the color choice, it makes the site look more scholarly! I like the first homepage better but the type might be hard to read. The layout of the first inner page is neat. If you took that image from behind the photos of the staff and used it as a slider image on the first homepage and moved the type underneath the image, it would look amazing. It would also bring in more color. The background of the staff page would look clean if it were white, which would give more focus to the staff. Hope this helps, great work!
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

susielang

Post by susielang »

First ones, I prefer. The images and type give the layout dimension and also I think a mood that reflects Yale. Saw the original site and your layout makes it look so much better!
Susie Lang

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Nice redesign on the website, sir. Nice indeed.

Overall, I like your "site_01" the best, though both have some really good design elements. You've really done an excellent job making the website worth a damn. Nice use of Yale's colors. The contrast really serves to highlight important parts of your composition. You have good margins in your whitespace, especially at the top bar and in from the edges of the document and between the type boxes and other elements in the document. The navigation is easy to see and use, and is well placed. I also like the use of serif typefaces here. It would initially seem to clash with the clean layout, but it works with Yale's logo and already established branding.

I'd vertically center the navigation in its blue nav bar. Right now, it's too far off the bottom. Make sure you have good margins on type in boxes. Also, make sure the margins are even (i.e. the top margin is the same as the bottom, the right margin is the same as the left, etc.).

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

I definitely think you were successful in capturing unity throughout your website designs. The color scheme and the layout overall are well constructed and visually appealing. I (like the rest of the class so far) like your first layout a little more than the second. I like the easily identifiable navigation placement and the off centered image placement. The only think I might change is to lower the opacity down on the background image in the additional web page. It may help the rest of the layout to pop off a little more. Good work!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

JulianEmme

Post by JulianEmme »

Really good job showing unity through type and color choices, I would go with the first one, I especially like the way the inner page turned out. Really good work.
Julian Emme

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

The first design is easy to navigate and captures the Yale style more than the second design. To improve the continuity, images on the staff page could be cropped to the same size/ratio. Overall the page layout is interesting, the offset photo on the home page works well for the design.
Melissa Peel

Jose_M

Post by Jose_M »

Ariesboxsye,
The first web-page works better. It is laid out well and the color scheme seems to work. The only thing to adjust/change/improve/include is the open space in the top, it's too distracting and can use some kind of filling.

Jose_Macias.
Jose Macias.

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

These are both looking great. Site 1 feels more inviting and accessible. The body copy text doesn't quite feel right; it's not utilizing the space that it's in, well, I think. It feels cluttered and hard to read, but only subtly so? It's intersting. Maybe try to reduce the amount of type and break it into more, smaller paragraphs, and give a little more padding around the text so it isn't quite as close to the edges of the blue squares on the left and right?
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Great Job on your websites, You can go either way frankly both are great, And I do not have any suggestions on how to improve your website.
Kyler Rose