Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
ktwy

Preliminary Critique

Post by ktwy »

Hi All ~
The website I am recreating is midtownprintreno.com, which is not super ugly but it does need a lot of help simplifying information.
My current designs are definitely rough from what I have pictured in my head, so hopefully I can figure out how to recreate the final product in html :)
Attachments
I wanted to go more outside the box than the traditional full sized image websites that seem to be very popular these days, by keeping the navigation bar fairly large.
I wanted to go more outside the box than the traditional full sized image websites that seem to be very popular these days, by keeping the navigation bar fairly large.
When clicked on, these pictures would redirect to either another page with more information or they would just flip over if the description was short enough.
When clicked on, these pictures would redirect to either another page with more information or they would just flip over if the description was short enough.
I liked the placement of the logo in the center of the page to draw attention to the company.
I liked the placement of the logo in the center of the page to draw attention to the company.
I don't really think I will end up going with this design, but the idea is that when you hover over a word more information pops up.
I don't really think I will end up going with this design, but the idea is that when you hover over a word more information pops up.

Ltrueworthy

Re: Preliminary Critique

Post by Ltrueworthy »

I like the version two layout the best but with the large menu bar (maybe see how it looks) and I like the version one second page better because it puts the whole concept together. The version two page two is simple and clean but it doesn't have any wow factor. Version one second page is more friendly and easier to understand plus it relates more to the company and menu page
Great Job!
Lea Trueworthy

erika.murray

Post by erika.murray »

Both of these layouts look great! I like the color of the image in your first homepage, I think it would be more inviting than the image in the second homepage (although it looks super cool). Your use of old Reno images for navigation in the inner page layout is a nice idea, and I would love to see the button colors more saturated. If you do end up going with the second homepage, I would make the headline much bigger like the first home page layout. Both of these designs are well put together, and you could really go with either direction!
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

susielang

Post by susielang »

Both layouts are cool! I am leaning toward the first home page and service page. Like the colors and how you have the menu laid out. Great typeface choice. Adds visual interest with the images you chose.
Susie Lang

Jose_M

Post by Jose_M »

ktwy,
I like the subject matter of the website, I myself love to print. The greyscale images work very well with the white background and blue navigation bar. The logo is placed well and everything is easy to read. I know this is just a rough, but things to be included are "what kind of printing?" and variety, as well as a different type font, the current one is a little too simple.

Jose Macias.
Jose Macias.

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Overall Thought: Both of your site are looking great but I would have to say go more towards the first one.

Template 1: Its ice and clean, I enjoy your nav bar, and it telling you what page or part of the website you are currently on. the Only thing I would really say to work on on this page the top area just seems unneeded that information could probably be worked in esle where in your design.

Template 2: This One is also really nice and easy to find information but, i am not sure which one is your home page and which is one of your sub pages. They both seem like they are homepages.
Kyler Rose

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I like your second design better. Your navigation is well placed and easy to find/use.. The thinner nav bar gives you a lot more room for content. I think my favorite part of it is the subtle gradient in the background. It really works to tie the composition together. I also like the semi transparent footer. It works to frame the content. But I also like that you bleed your content over said footer. The whole composition uses contrast really well, from your logo, to your navigation, to your photos to your word cloud. Typographically, the whole thing works rather well. I like the sans-serif type. It makes a strong statement throughout your design.

Add a few extra colors to your word cloud. Maybe blues and grays from the rest of your branding. You've got a lot of room between your content and your nav bar on your home page. Take a look at using different weights of your type to add informational hierarchy to your layout. You can move your content up if you feel like it. Also, make sure the blue in your logo and the blue in your navigation bar match.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

You did a terrific job in the design department! I like both layouts however I tend to like the first one a bit more than the second, I think because of the navigation. The navigation in general is super unique and interesting. I may actually like the second more if your swap out the navigations. Great work!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

"Homepage 2", with the printer image is a well put together design. However, for the services page, the first page has more potential than the second one. The text is not contrasting against the photos though and needs help being more legible. Perhaps adding a little color to the text would help it stand out against the unsaturated images. Overall, the designs are very clean and neat!
Melissa Peel

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

Both are great but I do like your first one more. The large navigation bar and the layout with the images covered in text really help to give the site a strong personality, I feel. The only really glaring thing I see is that there's contrast issues between the text on the images and the images themselves.
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================