Project Two Prelim

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
susielang

Project Two Prelim

Post by susielang »

Hi,

Here are my roughs and sample pages. I am redoing this website. http://www.exmouth-view.co.uk/ There is a lot of room for improvement. Found some good images of the area, designed a logo, and am rebranding it as an nice, elegant hotel by the sea.

For the first rough I was going for a balance of images and also information. Made the layout so it is easy to read through. Was going for an elegant hotel look with the typeface and the colors I chose.

For the second concept I was focusing on making it look elegant and concentrating more of an image based layout.

After having done the roughs, there are elements from each that I am thinking of combining.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Attachments
rough_2_sample_page.jpg
rough_2_home.jpg
rough_1_home.jpg
rough_1_sample_page.jpg
Susie Lang

Ltrueworthy

Re: Project Two Prelim

Post by Ltrueworthy »

Version two no questions! It flows so much better than version one and is much more crisp looking. The colors are great and the pictures add nice details without being crowded or randomly placed. I would stick with version two but you do you boo.
Maybe make the images slightly bigger but besides that you are golden.
Good Job!
Lea Trueworthy

erika.murray

Post by erika.murray »

I personally prefer your 2nd home page rough. The front photo is inviting and has nice colors. You also did a good job with choosing typefaces that represent elegance. My suggestions for you: put an opaque shape behind your headline on top of the photos; align your "E" logo to the very left; try aligning your navigation buttons and "Book a stay" to the right. Awesome work!
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I like your "rough_2" design better. I think.

The large photo homepage is very strong. The photo invites me in and the navigational area at the top lets me quickly engage with the rest of the website. Your logo and gold accent color immediately establish a feeling of elegance and class to the design. You generally use whitespace well. I also like the way you use layout to establish shapes and columns without there being any physical shapes present. The gold stroke on the bottom makes for a nice classy, framing device too.

I'm not sold on the gold buttons. I'd use a gold strip for the navigation with all your buttons on one line. No two line buttons. Put a drop shadow on your type that goes over an image, too. I'm losing the type in the image detail. I'd warm up your gold color a little. It looks a bit green. Also, I'd recommend using your script type a bit more. Maybe for headlines and subheads like you did in your "rough_1"

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Overall Thought: Both webistes are looking great, but i am leaning more towards template one, as i my opion it looks the nice between the two. For both of them for your body copy try not to use auto align center. My only Major Problem for both of the pages im no sure which on is the home page and which one is sub-page.
Kyler Rose

JulianEmme

Post by JulianEmme »

I like two better, I would suggest picking a typeface with more thickness if youre going to put type over an image, the scripty font gets kind of lost. I like you're colors and photos the good job!
Julian Emme

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

I think both websites have good qualities. I don't feel as though one is better than the other. Layout 1 has nice imagery and type faces as well as colors, but layout 2 does as well. I think you could go with either one! Although for rough 1 make sure the homepage image has a high enough resolution so the image doesn't get pixellated. Nice work!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

Hi Susie!

The "rough_2" design is the stronger one. Although I enjoyed other aspects of the "rough_1" design as well, the rough_2 design is simpler and easier to navigate. The typefaces go well with the design and the overall feeling of the hotel. Although the white font is classy, the home page text "welcome to Exmouth" is getting lost in the background image a bit. Perhaps a small drop shadow or a different color of font would increase contrast. The font style and color is elegant and professional.
Melissa Peel

Jose_M

Post by Jose_M »

susielang,
I'd go with the second rough. It is easy to grasp the subject matter and the layout works well along with the color choices. The only things to change is the links because they are not sized correctly and the type is crammed. Also the headline needs contrast adjustments.

Jose Macias.
Jose Macias.

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

Version 2 has so much more personality and is so inviting! The text on the image on the home page is impossible to read, though.
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================