GRC 175-2001 project 1

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
Jose_M

GRC 175-2001 project 1

Post by Jose_M »

Hello, my name is Jose and this is the preliminary critique for project 1. The inspirational web pages that I used were "gearsofwar.com" and "burzum.org" and I used them not because of their design but rather their page layout and interaction. The first home page is "project placer" which is meant for people like us to upload projects and discuss them. It has bright colors (currently only two) and is (or will be if I move forward with it) going to be interactive, which means there will be a lot to look at and a lot to talk about. An example of a project is also seen on the home page of my cereal box done in GRC 283.
The second home page "autonomy" is about "the other side of the coin" in life and that is nature. I aspire to move myself there and this home page promotes that idea to others and will inform them about the benefits and critical information as to why it would be better to live autonomous. I used colors such as green to enable growth, nature, and luck; also orange (brown that is made from orange) to enable energy, ambition, and enthusiasm. The second home page is most likely the one that I am going to move forward with. Thank you.
Attachments
Forest_home_page.jpg
project_placer.jpg
Jose Macias.

chaytothet

Re: GRC 175-2001 project 1

Post by chaytothet »

Hey there

I like the top one, it looks more sophisticated. The font is a nice choice, and I like the use of open space.

I might suggest changing the color of the navigation bar though, it's a little "Pukey" colored, sorry, I couldn't come up with a better word for it. It looks ok from a distance, but I think it needs to be either a committed brown or another color altogether.

Design on.
-Chalyn

Just because my path is different doesn't mean I'm lost
-Gerard Abrams

susielang

Post by susielang »

Hi,

I like the first design for sure. It looks elegant and also sophisticated. I might adjust the color just a little. Otherwise I think its great.
Susie Lang

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

Hey Jose,

I actually like your first design more than the second. I feel like it had more design elements
in it the work really well together. I also am very fond of that photo too! It looks so peaceful.
My only suggestion is to fill in that lower right hand space with something. Or maybe center
and spread out the bottom text and headline?? But overall great work!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Ah. Good stuff.

I like your first design better. I suspect it's my love of contrast and atmospherics in websites. Your top image helps to warm the composition up quite a bit. The whole page has a feel like a slide being projected onto a darkened basement wall. I like your typography as well. It serves to soften some of the hard aspects of the design created by the contrast. Good use of size to establish hierarchy. Your navigation is large and easy to use and I like how the olive green background works with your photo.

I'd recommend using the white TMCC logo. The green one just clashes too much. Your bodycopy paragraph could use a little more leading as well. You've got some room on the right side of your content for an image or another paragraph.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Pearl_Underwood

Post by Pearl_Underwood »

Jose,
I really like your first design. Very professional, calming, and inviting! The second one made me think of fun video games. Boy, I remember the Pac Man days. :)
~Pearl Underwood~

Ariesboxsye

Post by Ariesboxsye »

First design seems to catch my attention with the use of that banner. A nice combination of color mixing with the image is a nice execution of blending objects, only concern is that empty space on the right hand side.
~Names Aries Shelley~

Zera-Chann

Post by Zera-Chann »

Hey Jose!

I really like the first one very easy on the eyes and really simple to navigate.

My only critique is work with the empty space on the right hand side by your body copy, add like an image or have the body take up the entire body. Just play around with it and see what works for you.

Can't wait to see the final work!

CarnutianDragon

Post by CarnutianDragon »

Hi Jose,

Your first design is so clean and beautiful! I love the feathered effect you used on your header image, it ties into the rest of the design so nicely. I would say that you should do something with the right side of your design, maybe add in some feature work your have?

Great job and I can't wait to see the final product! :D
Sarah Alvarado

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Over View
Overall I think you did a great job on your website templates. If I had to choose between the two i would say that template 1 is the best.

Template 1
This template is think is the best of your two it has a nice design and flow, the text is easy to read and everything works together. The only thing I would change is the large black empty space, it needs to be filled with somthing.

Template 2
This Template looks nice but it feels like it is missing something important. If you choose this template you need to go over again and include all the required areas for this project. Again there is to much empty space with in the design
Kyler Rose