Project 1 Roughs, by Francisco

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
fjbo

Project 1 Roughs, by Francisco

Post by fjbo »

BRIEFLY
This are very rough drafts for the overall layout and styling for the site. I need more graphics that will be connected to the paragraphs/page content once created.

My reference sites for this projects are Webflow https://webflow.com/blog/18-web-design-trends-for-2017 and 99designs https://99designs.com/blog/trends/web-d ... ends-2017/.

INSIGHT
From my 2 references sites I analyze where Web Design is heading this year to try to use commonly used design principles and give it my own twist. It is difficult to me to speak about my self so I wanted to create a layout that gives room for adding more content and features seamlessly in the future without breaking or setting up a fixed-sizing layout.

I want my personal website to reflect my background as a developer while leaving some room for some eye-candy. For my 2 sketches I wanted to use a conservative layout that, according to the information on both websites, are found in current generation designs for ease-of-use and easy navigation. I decided to pick a bubble theme (to suggest freshness, fluidity, dynamics, and experimentation as the impression to the visitor).

For my second design, I wanted a design that has an "urban" and "techy" feeling to it, because I come from a big city and I love technology. The idea is to play around with a bright color palette, contrasting the dark color palette in my first layout). Symmetry is something that is a little difficult for me to play around with. I usually dislike order in design, however if I let my instincts loose I bring chaos, total chaos to my designs. So my second layout is an ordered attempt for an asymmetric layout.

All feedback is really appreciated, please share your thoughts even if they are not politically correct or really simple. All feedback is pretty well received.
Attachments
homepage.jpg
The Bubbled-themed style.
The Bubbled-themed style.
FJBO

FRANCISCO JAVIER BECERRA-ORTIZ

chaytothet

Re: Project 1 Roughs, by Francisco

Post by chaytothet »

Hey! Lookin' good on the roughs :)

I really like your concepts, I do like the second one better, I feel like it does your logo justice although I would mess with the placement on that a little.... Maybe off to one side instead of the middle, that would also allow for your name to go beside it emphasizing exactly who you are :)

Overall well done and easy on the eyes!

Design on.
-Chalyn

Just because my path is different doesn't mean I'm lost
-Gerard Abrams

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

Francisco!
Nice work.
I personally like the second one a bit more than the first. I like the depth of space
in the top portion of the layout as well as your color scheme. I might place the body
text into the grey circles, the circles by themselves look a bit out of place. But overall
great job!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Marco_Horta1

Post by Marco_Horta1 »

Hello Francisco, nicely done on the rough drafts. I personally like the first one because I like your style, and everything looks clear and neat. but the only thing I see troubles in is how its confusing in the navigation area. but all in all good work.
"Whoever is trying to bring you down, is already below you"- KUSHANDWIZDOM
Marco Horta

susielang

Post by susielang »

Hello,

Great looking roughs. Both of the layouts are designed really well. I am going toward the second one. I think the circles add an interesting element and I like the colors too.
Susie Lang

ktwy

Post by ktwy »

Your second rough has such a nice calming feeling to it because of the subtle colors, gradient, and circles. I like the contrast with the bright green which wakes you up and draws attention. It flows really nicely, and looks like it would make a nice portfolio website.

Jose_M

Post by Jose_M »

Francisco,
The color combination and layout work really well on the second one. The things you should consider in changing is the location of the logo and filling the circles with the body copy.

Jose Macias.
Jose Macias.

Pearl_Underwood

Post by Pearl_Underwood »

Hi Francisco,
These are both very nice, yet different. I like the first one. I like the texture of the paper, and the logo. Nice job!
~Pearl Underwood~

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

My love of contrast strikes again!

Before I get to the design critique, I'd like to mention how much I like your logo/mark. It's a neat little design that would spruce up lots of layouts.

Now for the meat and potatoes. I really like your second design. Mostly because of all the little touches that add visual interest. The gradient background keeps the eye moving downward and reading through the site. The little bubbles add visual interest and possibly navigation items. Your colors work together well to create an interesting harmony and cool off the design. I especially like the use of lime green to grab the eye and show it visually interesting subjects throughout your layout. Typographically, the layout is very strong as well. Good use of light, medium, and bold to establish hierarchy. Justifying the type was also a good decision. It creates square blocks of type to contrast the image circles next to them.

Play with the size/alignment of your photo circles so that they are equidistant from the paragraphs next to them. The left one in particular is quite close.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Ariesboxsye

Post by Ariesboxsye »

While both are really nice and tight design styles, I recommend the second simply because of the more diverse ideas being played with. The use of color stands out the most of something I like in this, green and teal standing out among the dark theme background. The only thing I hope to see in the future is more use of type rather than this simple style for your headers, they come off very business letter style rather than anything but if that is you theme for the website then by all means, remember expression versus readability.
~Names Aries Shelley~