Project 1 preliminary designs

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
Cassiebowers

Project 1 preliminary designs

Post by Cassiebowers »

These are my two website designs. I did one symmetrical and one asymmetrical design.

My inspirational websites were:
http://enfuzed.com/2014-web-design-trend-predictions/
I liked the hexagon idea. I took the idea to use hexagons in a website from that web design, and the idea to put pictures in a shape. For this design I made it Asymmetrical and put the CMYK color scheme into the type with black and white imagery.
http://vanseodesign.com/web-design/symmetry-asymmetry/
For this design I liked the idea to use a predominant shape as a focal point, I used this idea for both of my designs. I used the color in the imagery and only used white type.
Attachments
project_1_design_1.jpg
project_1_design_2.jpg
Cassandra Bowers

chaytothet

Re: Project 1 preliminary designs

Post by chaytothet »

Hey!

I like the top design, both are stunning, but the dimming in the bottom right corner of the second makes it look like the lights are being turned off... slowly. I'm not a fan, but I would love to see it without that!

I do like the top one, it's a great picture! Maybe a little too busy for the words in the background though.

Design on.
-Chalyn

Just because my path is different doesn't mean I'm lost
-Gerard Abrams

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

Elloz!

I really like both of your design layouts. They have very different vibes.
Personally I prefer the top design, its clean although it has a pretty
complicated background. I would try using different colors for your
Headline and body text though. That may differentiate your text from
your background.

Nice job!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

susielang

Post by susielang »

Hi,

I really like both of your designs. I am liking the first one most of all. The image is great and I like where you placed the text. I like the typeface you picked out.
Susie Lang

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Well Cassie, you're the second person I've seen this semester who I can say this about: You have two equally good designs. Have fun picking between 'em.

Your first design immediately establishes it's mood with the Pyramid lake shoreline background image. It feels like a cool, crisp early morning to me. Both your typefaces work well on the design. I like the interplay between the sans-serif and script types. Your navigation is easy to find and use. I also find having all your content contained in a picture frame is a strong design device. It centers my eye and focuses me on the website's informational content. Good choice with the white TMCC logo too.

Add a bit of distance between "Fall 2017" and the top of your picture frame to establish some top margin and give it a little room to breathe. Narrow your bodycopy inside the picture frame ever so slightly in order to give it the same side margin as top margin.

Your second design is textbook radial balance. It starts strongly with the Nautilus shell and builds out from there. The geometry is just so strong and does such and interesting job establishing hierarchy. Great color choices, too. They immediately spring off the gray background and attract the eye. Obviously your navigation is easy to see and use. I also think the typography is particularly strong on this one. The distressed type in the logo adds an instant piece of visual interest, the script type contrasts nicely with the geometry of the website layout, and the sans-serif is super easy to read and understanding.

Make sure the distances between "Cassie Bowers", the hexagon, and "A little bit about me:" are the same. Add a little distance between "Web Design and Publishing I" and the top of the hexagon that contains it. Just to establish some good margins and a consistent look.

Great work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Pearl_Underwood

Post by Pearl_Underwood »

Hi Cassie,
I like both, but prefer the one on top showing the image. I feel if you took off the fan, and showed the image on the bottom, it would give it a better feel. Nice job!
~Pearl Underwood~

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

I really enjoy both of your images they are both well designed and look extremely Nice. The First Format is really nice but photo backgrounds can make text to hard to read, especially around the clouds of the image so make sure you have a good contrast between the background and the text. The Nav Bar being in the upper right corner seems a little out of place and maybe come be moved somewhere else. As for the second image That one I would say I like a lot more than the first it looks extremely nice. The Only thing I would suggest to change is color of the body text, Yellow is an extremely hard color to read on monitors for a long period. The Web Design Publishing Part should be a footer, Slightly seen in the lower right hand corner and doesn't not have to be a major part of your design. Over All great Work the Website Templates.
Kyler Rose

Ariesboxsye

Post by Ariesboxsye »

I like both of your designs, but I am focusing on the second one for the reason of design choices. I like the patterns and use of shape, however title the website GRC175 might not be the best, we already have that site, and I would suggest you switch it with your name.
~Names Aries Shelley~

Jose_M

Post by Jose_M »

Cassie,
If I were to lean on one it would be the second home page because it has a powerful use of asymmetrical balance, which is what you were going for. The color and imagery balance each other very well and I like the background image, it adds an atmospheric feel to it. The few things you should consider in changing is the script font because it doesn't serve your theme and including the image in the shape because as viewers we don't know what it's suppose to mean, or at least not yet. If you decide to go with the top home page, the things to improve on are: contrast of your title (GRC 175), and the placement of the links because they just seems to be floating off in the corner. Overall good concepts and you can go for either one.

Jose Macias.
Jose Macias.

CarnutianDragon

Post by CarnutianDragon »

Hi Cassie,

Your image and use of asymmetrical balance in your second design are very eye catching! I enjoy the contrast between the grays and blacks with the CMYK coloration of your text. However, I would suggest lightening your foreground image as it makes the entire piece feel too dark.

Great job and I can't wait to see the finished product! :D
Sarah Alvarado