Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
selvster5000

Preliminary Critique

Post by selvster5000 »

Hi guys,

Below are my attached website designs. They are pretty different from each other,
which I feel reflect both sides of my design work. My love for character design and my
love for graphic design. I am fond of both layouts however, I feel as though the graphic
style design looks more of a magazine layout than a website layout? What do you think?

I found most my inspiration from these two websites:
behance.com
dribble.com

I check both websites daily. In my opinion, Behance and Dribble have the best modern
style graphic art which is what I hope to exhibit in my designs.
Attachments
website_design_01.png
website_design_02.png
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Preliminary Critique

Post by Instructor »

Oh wow, they ARE different!

Personally, I prefer the second one. Both of them have an album cover feels to them. I like that design sensibility. It works well for websites The first is fun; it reminds me of a Looney Toons opening credit sequence. But the second is a little cleaner and I'm a sucker for good contrast, both in color and in page layout. I like the non-standard navigation placement. The navigation is still easy to see and use and I like the use of a rollover color and a page placement color. Your shapes and colors balance each other nicely throughout the composition. It's a textbook diagonal balance. I even like the non-standard typography. I'm not usually a fan of a ton of fonts used in one design, but it works here. Your colors are well chosen too. They both compliment and contrast with one another to great effect. The overall compositional effect is to warm a very cool composition.

I don't think you need to use quite so bold a bodycopy in your left side text area. I think a thinner type made slightly larger and using a light color, perhaps white or your yellow, will show just fine without needing to bold the type.

Very clean, very usable, very visually interesting. Nicely done!

BTW, if you like Behance, it's Adobe's social media initiative, so feel free to set up an account once you get your own Creative Cloud subscription. You might just get your artwork featured one day.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

erika.murray

Post by erika.murray »

This is really awesome Hannah! They both reflect your personality really well.
I like the second design, the minimalistic circles and bold colors go nicely together. I would suggest to play with the type though, especially where it overlaps the rectangle and into the white space.
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

chaytothet

Post by chaytothet »

Awesome Designs!

I like the block one a bit better, I do agree though, the type on the white background is lacking some visual weight. I would size it up or change the font to something that doesn't have as many lines, more shapes!

I love love love the detail on the selvster 5000 though, it's awesome. Like the Looney toons reference as well. The small child that resides in my soul asked why I couldn't be as ingenious.

All in all super lovely designs, just a tweak or two and both would make awesome websites!

Design on.
-Chalyn

Just because my path is different doesn't mean I'm lost
-Gerard Abrams

Marco_Horta1

Post by Marco_Horta1 »

Hello Hannah, marvelous work! I personally like the first rough draft for it captures my attention with the big wildcat in the middle of the website, the graphic designs are flawless, and the hues you chose blend great with each other. But I would like to see the navigation bar bigger and possibly reduce the size of the wildcat to enhance and make the "self" paragraph more visible. wonderful job!
"Whoever is trying to bring you down, is already below you"- KUSHANDWIZDOM
Marco Horta

susielang

Post by susielang »

Hello,

Both designs are great. The wildcat is a really fun, interesting illustration. The colors are great. I am going more toward the second one. It definitely has a hip, record album feel to it and I love the feel to the design. Also, really liking the colors.
Susie Lang

Pearl_Underwood

Post by Pearl_Underwood »

Hannah, your work is always so awesome, and clean. I really like your first rough because I love animals. Awesome Looney Tunes theme. The second one is pretty cool too, but the animals always get me. :)
~Pearl Underwood~

Ariesboxsye

Post by Ariesboxsye »

Hi Hannah, right away I am going to simply point to the second choice as one that I like. I like how you used asymmetrical balance in this design, while similar shapes are used to keep some amount of unity. The links on the side are confusing being side ways, it might cause some unreliability in some users.
~Names Aries Shelley~

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Overall I love both of your designs am I am not sure which One is better. Both have a sense of unity and balance all elements work together. One problem though with your first template your background. It may be hard to set that up for a website as how images are used for bagrounds, so many cut your circles off at the end of the white box and set a pinkish color for the rest of your background. Your second Template I have nothing to really to change they both look so good.
Kyler Rose

Jose_M

Post by Jose_M »

selvester5000,
The first one reminds me the HI FRUCTOSE magazine, which are pretty cool and you should perhaps check them out for inspiration, but yes you're right it does look like a magazine. I'm leaning more towards the second one because of the overall design, but it seems as if you have two home pages colliding with each other: one is circular with its own set of colors and one is squared with its own colors as well. I think should drop one half of the design and build on that or integrate them.

Jose Macias.
Jose Macias.