Project Three - Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
Stephski

Project Three - Preliminary Critique

Post by Stephski »

Good evening!
I am sorry for the lack of images or content in these rough designs. I must admit, I have not had as much time to work on them as I did for the previous projects. So let me explain a little, hopefully it will help understand better what I have planned.

For the first design, I would like to play with a mouse-aware parallax query plugin. I will have two backgrounds that will move slightly with the mouse. It's a pretty cool effect, some web developers have created amazing websites with that! For the rest of the website, it would all be in one page, with links to each specific section. I want to work with a gradient of green and an opacity (to keep some consistency with the background image). I have displayed my text in two columns but that is likely to change depending on the text I will use.

For the second design. Instead of a navigation, I chose to work with three boxes, with text, that will serve as a navigation of sort. A "Read More..." link would be displayed at the bottom of the box. Once on other pages, the logo would shrink and a navigation would appear to help the visitor navigate easily. I used the same background for both designs as well as the colors as I was please with them. Hopefully it won't be an issue that both designs have resemblances.
design1-home.png
design1-pages.png
design1-pages2.png
design2-home.png
design2-pages.png
- Stephanie Kendziorski.

BreeAnn

Re: Project Three - Preliminary Critique

Post by BreeAnn »

Hi Stephanie,

I like the first design, even though I really dislike the TMCC green, it doesn't bother me as much here, probably because of its opacity. I also like the image you are using in the background. My suggestion for you, though this doesn't bother me, that particular design is more like your other projects than the second. I know you were wanting to look different, so if that's your goal, you might want to go with the second design.

As always, nice work!
BreeAnn St.Onge

IvorHarvey

Post by IvorHarvey »

Hey!
So i think that your designs would look super cool with the mouse movement effect. I had to google it to see what you were talking about, and there are some super cool ones out there!
I looked at the ones here: http://www.webydo.com/blog/web-design/p ... -parallax/

But I think I like the idea of the first design better if you're going to go with the background movement thing! Im excited to see what it turns out like!
Ivor Harvey

EduardoG

Post by EduardoG »

Hi Stephanie,
Thanks for explaining a bit of what your going for with your roughs!
I would go with the first design, as it sounds amazing to have it all in one page with links to connect to each section!
Advice, would be to have the background white instead (for me, it makes the page pop more than the than the green background).
- Eduardo Garcia

erose

Post by erose »

Hi Stephanie,

You already know how much I love your work, but here is my suggestion for your project 3 roughs: I think your desgin1-home page should be paired with your design2-pages format. The design1-pages are great too, but maybe try them without color, or maybe use a lighter color for all the pages.

I love it!

elizabeth_mccurdy

Post by elizabeth_mccurdy »

Hi Stephanie,

Great work with both design 8-)

I like that there are simple, easy to navigate and read. I think I like better the first one on top but with the second design format :lol: Both look good the only think to change is the green background I think if you leave it white like in the first design everything looks great.
Elizabeth McCurdy

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

You've really set yourself quite a challenge here, haven't you Stephanie? I'm interested to see what you can pull off here.

I think your single page scroller idea is quite interesting. It actually pretty straightforward to do, even with parallaxing. Here's a good example being used to show off a simple parallax jQuery. I like the very simple layout and imagery combo you have. The cracked granite makes for a visually interesting background. Your text is well placed and easy to read. I'm curious to see how your drop down menu will work with the overall design.

I do like the three vector circles you have in your second design. They have a nice vibe that I think would go well if you imported it into your single page scroller. Also, I'd recommend demarking your pages very clearly, maybe with different background colors/gradients/images so people can tell at a glance where they are on the site. Don't forget to add some images in too to add color and visual interest.

An ambitious goal. I'm excited to see how it looks when you are done.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173