Project 2 - Preliminary Critique EG

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
EduardoG

Project 2 - Preliminary Critique EG

Post by EduardoG »

Hi everyone!
sorry for being late in posting my roughs.
My shit website: http://www.007museum.com
I chose this site since it was about James Bond, and I thought it would be interesting to redesign the original site.
Anyways, critique my revised website roughs!
Attachments
rough_02.jpg
rough_01.jpg
- Eduardo Garcia

erose

Re: Project 2 - Preliminary Critique EG

Post by erose »

Hey Eduardo!

This site is BAD!! It was actually one of the bad sites I submitted too! :lol:

WOW Eduardo, this is my favorite design of yours yet. I think you are spot on with capturing a 'feeling' through graphic design with this one. I've been watching Bond movies since way back in the day and your design produced immediate nostalgia for for me. I wouldn't want to change much....except maybe swapping the Daniel Craig photo & movie on the Home Page for "Moonraker" and a photo of Roger Moore. Gotta have a Roger Moore movie & photo! lol!!

Really Nice Job!

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Nicely done, Eduardo.

Your first design in particular works really well and captures the spirit of James Bond. It has great use of contrast to move the eye around. The navigation is super easy to find and use. I like the use of the header and footer as subtle framing devices. The main script type works well for the header and navigation. You have lots of room to keep the design liquid or respond to different browser resolutions. And the central pic area to highlight some of Bond's greatest hits works really well.

My big issue with it is the white around the buttons. They don't need it. In fact, I don't think you need to have anything showing for the buttons except the text. The text will provide enough definition against the black. I also don't think the secondary font you used in your really works. I'd recommend swapping it for something no-nonsense, like a lighter sans serif font.

I would have liked to have seen inner pages of your designs, though.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

IvorHarvey

Post by IvorHarvey »

Well I'd have to say that both of your designs are a huge step up from the original website. I like how you keep both in black and white, which helps with portraying the whole dark and mysterious James Bond theme. I think I'm leaning towards the first design because it uses contrast in the headline and the navigation really well, and I like the large background image.

I think it would be a cool idea to keep with the background image of a bond across each page, but possibly changing the image to a different actor since the original website ranges back to the start of the franchise, and not just the ones with Daniel Craig.
Ivor Harvey

michelek

Post by michelek »

I like both of your designs but I am leaning towards the first one. The white around the buttons is distracting. Navigation is easy, the website has a nice flow to it. The black and white works very well. It would be fun to incorporate the other actors that have played Bond. Though Daniel Craig and Sean Connery are my favorites. The downside is there where like 9 actors that have played Bond.

Good Job
Michele K Ott

KKentera_5000

Post by KKentera_5000 »

Hey Eduardo, I really like these designs. It's true that the original site is a mess. I love the fact that you used the SPECTRE acronym (I had to look it up to remember what it was) but a true fan of the movie and novel dynasty would probably know what it means right off the bat. I think both homepages have potential. You just have to decide if you want simple, (1st design) or more imagery and more white space for other future info (2nd design)

I think you might want to play with the type/font on the links in the 2nd one, maybe use the spectre font or something similar- I think it would look pretty cool like that. Good Job!
Kevin Kentera

gracelark

Post by gracelark »

Wow, that original website really was shit! Your swirly silhouette top bar is pretty cool. I'd like to see the 007 logo still in this design somewhere. I think the black/white/gray color scheme is fitting and I like the image you chose. I'm not sold on your typeface choices in your navigation or address information on either design, but the script you used for the headline is good. I also think you could round out the edges on your navigation boxes to make them sleek like the Bond brand.
Andrea (Grace) Hutchison

elizabeth_mccurdy

Post by elizabeth_mccurdy »

Hello Eduardo!

Wow Eduardo, you did a good job with these designs. I feel I need to go to the museum. I like the pictures, the colors and the type. But my favorite is the rough #2 is clean and good organize easy to navigate. I don't know what to change :o
Great Job!
Elizabeth McCurdy