Project 2 Roughs

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
IvorHarvey

Project 2 Roughs

Post by IvorHarvey »

So I chose to redesign this crazy website, which I'm still not entirely 100% sure what it's about.. I think its a website about a board game? It just has a lot of random scripture quotes and bad nothing of some company that screwed them over. Anyway here's the link to the original page http://www.galaxion.com :!: (warning it starts playing space ship noises as soon as the little floating things appear on the page) :!:

For both designs I have the navigation with one of the links to a separate a page a different color to show what I want to have as a rollover when navigating the site!

And they uploaded backwards, so the first image of the set of two is the second page, and the bottom image is the homepage.
Attachments
rough1_page2.jpg
rough1_homepage2.jpg
rough2_page2.jpg
rough2_homepage.jpg
Ivor Harvey

EduardoG

Re: Project 2 Roughs

Post by EduardoG »

Hi Ivor,

Both of your designs look good! I prefer your second design, the image is just so captivating, seems more interesting to view than the four board game images in the first design. The font that you've chosen is amazing!
My advice is to reduce the font size of "The Final Frontier in Skill and Strategy" and place it closer to the "GALAXION" header text for improved hierarchy and to change the purple colored navigations to white, so that the navigation matches(in color) with the "GALAXION" text, and so there isn't too many different colors for the text.
- Eduardo Garcia

KKentera_5000

Post by KKentera_5000 »

Both Really solid ideas. Although I love the juxtaposition of the greenish blues and the purples on the second idea, I feel the first set of options makes the websites purpose very clear, which I know is one of the biggest problems with that original site. Great tag lines!

I cant really think of to much to say on the constructive criticism aspect, but if you do use the bottom idea you could maybe just use one of the taglines from the other pages that makes the boardgame the obvoious focal point of the site.
Kevin Kentera

Adobe WanKenobi

Post by Adobe WanKenobi »

Galaxion is a spaced themed strategy board game, kinda like risk, that won a Guinness World Record for the largest board game. At least thats what I could gather before my eyes started to bleed! God that is a horrendous site! Oh, and that evolution is a myth. It's like they stopped trying to sell shit and started advertising for crazy people, interesting marketing strategy.

Anyway, I like both of your designs, they are professional, clean, fit the theme and use excellent fonts and colors. I agree with most of the critiques previously posted, change the purple or lower the saturation, Ed's comment on the subhead is spot on! I do like that the top designs color scheme matches the board game which is generally a good branding thing to do. I would love to see that orange for the word "gallery" used more in those designs. One other small critique is to tighten up the text columns a bit, making them narrower and increasing the negative space around them.

All around good job,
Harper

erose

Post by erose »

Hi Ivor:

Wow! What a nightmare! The person(s) who created this site must be going through personal struggles between living by scripture and taking really awesome drugs! :shock:

I think you did a great job with both of your designs, but your rough 2 is the winner for me. Rough 1 is good, but for me the pictures on the home page break up the vast cosmic feeling I get from your Rough 2 home page. The only suggestion I would have is (and I may just be misunderstanding what's going on here :D ) for there to be a link in the nav area of your rough 2 to the game itself.

I love your rough 2!!

Stephski

Post by Stephski »

Hello Ivor,
It's impressive the difference between the original website and your design. Your design enhances the mysterious nature of this game. I prefer the rough one because it has images. The one thing I would change is the title/navigation/catch phrase: the size is different on your homepage and other pages. I would keep them all the same throughout the website, just as it is on your homepage. I'm not sure if this makes sense, I feel as if I am not phrasing it properly. I'm sorry if that is the case!
- Stephanie Kendziorski.

BreeAnn

Post by BreeAnn »

Hi Ivor,

This is a tough choice. Visually, I like the second design with the planet, but it feels more like a movie preview site than a board game. I think your first design works better for the subject matter. I have to agree with comments already made, your subtitle should be the same size across the pages, and I really like that orange color that you use minimally on both the home page and the gallery page. It gives it more a feeling of excitement than the calm cool colors of the second design.
BreeAnn St.Onge

michelek

Post by michelek »

Hi Ivor,

Like the second one the best. Color choices are a great combination. I'd like to see a better connection to the fact that it is a board-game. I like your first design but I do not like the white border around the board games - to much of a contrast.

MK
Michele K Ott

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Gather around everyone, we have the first one of these for Project 2. Congratulations, Ivor! You've won the two equally good designs sweepstakes. Your prize is you get to select the design.

Both of yours are equally good. Pick one.

The first design looks a little like a box the game might come in, to me. Having the nebulas and starfields fade to black gives you ample contrast which you use quite well as a presentational element. Your navigation is well placed and easy to see/use. Interesting choice with the highlighted "Contact" button. Your headline is very strong. I prefer it to the one in design two. The colors are well chosen as well. Purple and orange go extremely well together. They also reflect and enhance the colors in the background imagery. The slogan amuses me too. Well done adding different background images for each page. It gives quite a lot of visual interest.

I don't care for the line around your navigation, I don't think it needs it. You have plenty of contrast. I'd also get rid of the underline under your page title. It too is unneeded. I'd add a little more gutter in between the columns on your inner page. In fact, I think the inner page could use a picture or two.

The second design looks like the cover of a cool 90s sci-fi novel. The colors are super cool, in every meaning of that word. Like your first design, the space background lends it's self to high contrast and you take full advantage. Also like the first design, the different images for each page creates an interstellar journey effect. We're visiting different worlds. Yay! The navigation is nicely placed as well. It looks like the author credit on a book cover or the small credit text on a movie poster. It's still easy to see and use where it is though. Your inner page is pretty unique as well. Nicely done wrapping the type around the planet.

I don't think it needs the underline under "Contact" if you want to highlight your contact button, make it a brighter color. Like the first one, I think you can widen your gutter a bit on your inner page.

Excellent work. Top notch all the way around. Good luck picking!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

gracelark

Post by gracelark »

WOW. At the risk of being dramatic, these are two of the coolest and most realized concepts I've ever seen in student work. Like slam dunk. I love them both. But I'm also a total sci-fi junkie so this stuff gets me pumped. I think I like the second one better; I feel like you pulled the perfect colors out of that super cool background image, and I like the blue/purple better than the orange you pulled from the first. I first looked at your prelim 1 and thought you'd found a perfect typeface, but the second one is even better. I love that X in Galaxion. I'm going to resist the temptation to try to make up a fault. I'm just totally into it as-is. It's balanced, exciting, and perfectly reflects the topic. You're hired.
Andrea (Grace) Hutchison