Project 3 Prelim_Kami

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
KamiGurl

Project 3 Prelim_Kami

Post by KamiGurl »

Hey Guys,

Here are my two roughs...(literally rough lol) The first version I wanted to go for a modern web look with an image as the background. However looking at it, I am not liking it as much. So if this one is chosen, I will definitely be making some modifications to it. If you have any comments or suggestions to make it better, please feel free to let me know. :) Also I know on the "Classes Offered" headline is off center, I was having a contrast issue which is why it is off to the side. Again, I will definitely be making adjustments if this version is chosen.

As for the second version, I actually enjoy how this came out. Yes, the navigation is suppose to be sideways.. I wanted to do something different and unique. I will probably add more splashes of color to the Home page if this one is chosen.

Let me know what you think :D Thanks!!!
Attachments
Home: Version 2
Home: Version 2
Degrees: Version 2
Degrees: Version 2
Home: Version 1
Home: Version 1
Classes Offered: Version 1
Classes Offered: Version 1
~Kami

Joe_Morales

Re: Project 3 Prelim_Kami

Post by Joe_Morales »

Kami,

Nice designs I really like the direction you went with on your second design. Its a solid idea and looks more unique than your first design my only critique is the sideways buttons they are difficult to read and distracting. So I think reworking that would really help nice work overall.
Joseph Morales

kaycee_weddell

Post by kaycee_weddell »

Kami

Great start! Your designs turned out really well however i agree with Joe. Your second design with the workspace image and grad image are more unique. The buttons are a little hard to read being sideways like they are so maybe try moving those around. Also the grad image looks like maybe it got scaled a little weird (not sure) if so maybe try re-scaling it so it doesn't look so tall and squished. Overall these look nice!
Kaycee Weddell

lornrocks

Post by lornrocks »

Hmm, I like both of your designs. Your top one is certainly very unique, no one else on the forum has done something like that. I like the black and white photos with the color pop and the subject matter. My only issue is that the photos look squished and it doesn't leave a lot of room for text. Maybe have the photos take up the whole page and overlay text over it, or make them smaller to allow more room for the text area.

The second design is also nice, albeit a little expected. I would play with transparency on the text boxes so more of the photos can be seen, and play with some creative ways of putting your text in there, like columns or sections separated by images or the like.

Definitely good ideas. I don't think they're super rough at all, your ideas are clearly coming across here, and both ideas are completely different, so it's easy to see which one a client might prefer, for instance. Good job!
Lauren Solinger

rmiyashiro

Post by rmiyashiro »

I prefer the design with the vertical navigation bar. It is more visually inneresting and I think it could be interesting on a mobile screen rotation. The low opacity tmcc logo under the text causes some readability issues and if anyone wanted to click the logo to go to the tmcc home it could cause some issues
Ryan 'Danger' Miyashiro

dbranby

Post by dbranby »

Version Two captures the marketing emphasis that the assignment is calling for, so I'd say run with that version. Rough or not, it show some nice thinking, and some "end results" ... I love the image of the soon-to-be graduate prepping for commencement! Good luck on your build!
— David Branby

dnorwood

Post by dnorwood »

I definitely like version 2 best. Your use of the photos is really good, especially the graduation one (she looks so happy!) I am not so sure about the sideways navigation though. Maybe the problem is that they don't stand out well and catch your attention. High five for creativity and imagination.
While version 1 has a fairly good layout, it is very generic and could be used for any TMCC program.
Good luck,
Denise
Denise Norwood

ravens.way

Post by ravens.way »

I also like your version 2 and agree that if you change the layout of the buttons it will improve the design. Your font and colors look very good together. You might need to move the logo to be able to place on the second page of your version 2 design.
Gwendolyn Jones-Gailey

raoki

Post by raoki »

I like the pictures you used in the first design, but the second design's structure looks better.
I agree that the navigation is a little bit hard to read so probably you can put a half-opacity box on the back.
Remi Aoki :D

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I think I like your first design the best. I find it's vertical structure a neat break from the usual horizontal layouts that you see in websites.

The white column on the left combined with a large image area on the right gives the entire website a "coffee table book" feel that I find very interesting. I like the use of the navigation as a separator between image and content. I also like the constant placement of the TMCC logo with only opacity to indicate whether we are on the home page or an inner page. The text is well placed and easy to read. The navigation is a bit of a challenge to grasp, but that was intentional with the design. Your large image area to the right allows you to "speak" on the content of each page with an images that accentuates and expounds upon what you are saying with text on the left.

The design really just needs a couple of tweaks. One, shrink your navigation text slightly, so that each buttons' text is able to fit on one line. Two widen your white box on the left slightly to give your content more room to breathe and so you can make your navigation one continuous line rather than having it be cut in two by the content.

Nice work! I want to see what this will look like for real.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173