GRC site roughs

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
dnorwood

GRC site roughs

Post by dnorwood »

Here are my two sets of roughs. Both of them are actually a departure from what I normally do. I am usually more nature inspired. Serendipity played a large part in what I ended up designing. On the black one, I was playing with the color ribbon and accidentally imported it onto a black background...wow! The contrast was great and an idea was born. With the geometric one, I had decided to actually try my hand at something geometric. I had made a bunch of shapes and grouped them together, but when it came to what color(s) to make them I was at a loss. So I thought maybe I'd try some sort of gradient...in the gradients I found a set called 'vignettes'. I tried them out and the effects were really cool. I ended up using one of them for my shapes.
Let me know what you think.
Denise
black_home.jpg
black_bio.jpg
geometric_home.jpg
geometric_bio.jpg
Attachments
grc_geometric_bio.jpg
grc_geometric_home.jpg
grc_black_bio.jpg
grc_black_home.jpg
Last edited by dnorwood on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denise Norwood

lornrocks

Re: GRC site roughs

Post by lornrocks »

Very groovy ideas, Denise, haha. I like them.

I think the top idea (black with rainbow) is better than the white and gold. It's easy to read, the background isn't too busy, and it has some bright, fun, rainbow colors. It's got an easy to read nav bar and a good header, as well.

I like that you split your text up into columns, that's nice to read and easier on the eyes, especially for people with accessibility issues. I would try and have more fun with your layout, though. Make the photograph of Michael a circle or something, maybe try text wraps if you can, you know?

Can't wait to see the final product, you always do a great job with your designs, they always look so clean and nice.
Lauren Solinger

rmiyashiro

Post by rmiyashiro »

Both designs are cool but I prefer your gold design. The pattern is interesting and goes well with the font you chose for the Graphic Communications title.
Ryan 'Danger' Miyashiro

dbranby

Post by dbranby »

I like how you've experimented with some different looks and gotten outside of your comfort zone. Personally, I think the geometric with the white and gold is interesting, and wondering if you could tie the geometric elements to the craft of design/graphic communications a bit more ... showing our illustrious instructor is a real plus, too. Good luck on your build!
— David Branby

raoki

Post by raoki »

The first design is easier to read, but I personally like your second concept because it looks more unique.
I mean both of your concept look unique but the rainbow part of your first design doesn't functionally work so I like your second one more.
Remi Aoki :D

ravens.way

Post by ravens.way »

I like the way you did both of your sites but the one that stood out most for me is the one with the geometric shapes. Both designs are easy to read and have a good use of spacing.
Gwendolyn Jones-Gailey

kaycee_weddell

Post by kaycee_weddell »

Both concepts are very unique and interesting. I love the wave design because of the visual movement. I would like to see you turn this concept into the GRC site. It has great use of color as well as contrast. The only thing I might fix is your body copy. It is a little distracting with the alignment you used. Try using justified alignment to calm it down a little:)
Kaycee Weddell

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

You've got some interesting ideas here, Denise.

I slightly prefer the first one because of the multi-colored sine wave you've got going on there. It just uses contrast so well. Black and white for the main content and then this vivid, eye catching sine wave right smack in the header. It really draws your eye along it and move that eye from point to point in the upper content. Your navigation is easy to see and use. Your information is well presented and relatively easy to read. Typographically it's pretty darn strong. I like the way your headline type echoes and reinforces your sine wave.

Maybe try making the arcs (both top and bottom) of your wave a little taller and scooting it up toward the top, creating two pockets one for the logo on the left and one for the text on the right. That'd give you more content room to play with. Also, slightly enlarge your left navbar so all the buttons have one line of text each. Dial back the drop shadow behind the content and embrace the contrast you're establishing. Maybe try shrinking your bodycopy a point or two and left justifying it.

Neat stuff!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

gr8ful1

Post by gr8ful1 »

I really like your first design. The graphic is really interesting, and I think it is balanced well between the heading and navigation. The contrast is good, and I think the off grey body works well against the color of the graphic.
The second page is a good use of graphics, but the color palette seems a little dull to me for a graphic design class. The navigation also seems squished together on it, maybe a smaller font. Good job getting creative with shapes!
Kirsten Sorensen

dzynecin88

Post by dzynecin88 »

I really like your first design, Denise. It has the perfect balance of minimalism and flair. I like the second design as well, but it doesn't communicate "graphics program" quite as well for me. The first one is savvy and fun at the same time.
Cindy Salyer