project1 preliminary critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
rmiyashiro

project1 preliminary critique

Post by rmiyashiro »

rough2_ng.jpg
http://www.ge.com/
The GE site inspired rough2. The squares at the top of the website and the navigation layout inspired some thumbnails. Then I looked back at some previous projects for images I could use and found the logos created in 107.
rough3v2_ng.jpg
http://store.hifructose.com/collections/back-issues/
I like to consider myself colorblind which explains the color schemes I used in both roughs. The colors used were inspired by the art of HiFructose. I am open to suggestion as far as the color schemes go because I'm not entirely certain that they work.
Ryan 'Danger' Miyashiro

Joe_Morales

Re: project1 preliminary critique

Post by Joe_Morales »

Hello Ryan,

I agree the color schemes could use work i dont find them too effective id suggest playing around with http://paletton.com/#uid=1000u0kllllaFw0g0qFqFg0w0aF. However I like the geometric concept with your designs I personally lean more towards your first design and I like the idea of incorporating your images with the shapes.
Joseph Morales

dzynecin88

Post by dzynecin88 »

I love geometrics so like both of your designs. I favor the second one, because I really like your treatment of typography in it. My only suggestion is to fix the alignment of the text "Web Design and Publishing" in the upper right corner.
Cindy Salyer

kaycee_weddell

Post by kaycee_weddell »

Ryan,

I really like the typography used in your green web design. I think that turned out really cool with the positive and negative space. I am leaning more towards your first design because the shapes created are very interesting. I think if you could combined the two design elements your design would be a lot stronger. I do think your color schemes could use some help. Maybe try adding in some contrast. Maybe try using Paletton to find some color harmonies:) Overall good job creating an interesting design!
Kaycee Weddell

raoki

Post by raoki »

I just love the logo of the bottom one! This one's visually interesting and good eye catching from the top to the bottom.
You are gonna put links on those circles, right? If not, you definitely should do that :)
Remi Aoki :D

Ryan_Hartman

Post by Ryan_Hartman »

The colors are eye grabbers and dose it very well to move viewers eyes around , but it texts could be resized in certain spots, it's a bit small.

KamiGurl

Post by KamiGurl »

Hi Ryan,
So far I am leaning towards the first one. I love the concept of your geometric shapes and how they interact with each other! I'm also enjoying how you used your concept from 107 lol! Good thing, those designs are strong that they can apply to another project ;). The only thing I would work with is your color. Try playing with a different color scheme to make it "Pop" more. Also, I'm digging your logo of your name on the second one~ Maybe you can try adding that to your first layout if you scale it down. Other than that, Great work on both Layouts!
~Kami

lornrocks

Post by lornrocks »

Ryan, bless your heart, but if Brian were here he would rip you apart for your color choices, haha. Never change, man, never change.

I like your ninja-star looking first design, but I almost want the little sections to have meaning somehow. To be buttons or something of that sort. I also feel the text needs to be brought forward more, maybe putting a low opacity color square behind the text to help pop it off, or playing around more with size and color of the type?

The second layout seems stronger but needs some pizzaz. LOVE the use of your logo from Dan's 107 class, but I feel like the black of the logo is blending in too much with the black of the text. Perhaps change the color of the type so it stands out more? Utilize the color scheme you've chosen for the layout. Also, the hyphen on the class title in the bottom layout is driving me crazy. Just push Publishing over onto the next line, man. Please. Also on that note, I would have more fun with your type. Play with size and color, make some buttons or dividers, do something to pop that text out.

If you're looking for help on color schemes, I would recommend either the site Michael showed us or colourlovers.com which can help you pick up some fun color schemes that others have used successfully and how much you should use each color in the composition.

Keep bringing your creativity and your weirdness. [thumbs up emoji because I'm on a computer]
Lauren Solinger

dnorwood

Post by dnorwood »

These are both interesting concepts, one for it's boldness and the other for it's fluidity. They are both pretty well balanced designs.

Rough 1, squares: In this one, I don't think you need an 'About' link. Your info is already right there. I would suggest you rescue your email from where it's hiding in that bottom corner, it looks lost. Maybe if you put it on the top of the light blue figure? It would balance out your name. Color-wise, the black and the purple background work well together, but the other colors need some help. They are too pastel to work with the bold black.

Rough 1, circles: I like this one best. The circles create a sense of movement, draw the eye through the design and coordinate well with the logo. (Great work on the logo.) The word 'Publishing' shouldn't be hyphenated. Now...color again! Actually just a little bit...The color scheme is fine, but I keep getting focused on the small hot pink square. If you toned it down some it flow better with the others.

Happy Designing!
Denise Norwood

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oooooh, nice geometry on both of these, Ryan. I'd say you've got two equally strong designs here. The choice is yours.

I like the geometry and contrast you have going on here with both designs. The sharp angles in your first one really push the eye in some interesting directions while the round shapes in the second one move the eye around in a nice radially balanced layout, hitting all the important things pretty much in order. Both have a high contrast art deco feel to them that works really well. Both also work well typographically; each design's type compliments it's shapes and layout well. The second layout uses margin especially well. The navigation is well placed and easy to find and use on both designs.

I think the big issue I see with both of them is color, as you yourself point out. I'd recommend using a three-color scheme: black, white, and some bright primary or secondary color. Use the color as an accent (one or two large shapes, small accents elsewhere). Your background should either be a clean white for the black and the color to play off of or a black to make the white and your color pop. Experiment and see what looks good. I'd also eliminate that dashed line break in the upper right on your second design. I'd also move the type away from your shapes in your first design to give them a little more room to breathe.

Really good work! I want to see which design you choose.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173