Project One, First Prelimary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
dbranby

Project One, First Prelimary Critique

Post by dbranby »

Hi, guys. Here is my first of two roughs. The first was inspired by http://www.northsails.com, plus a ton of responsive sites out there.

Update 2/22/16: Here's my colorized version, on top.
Attachments
sailing-in-db2.jpg
sailing-in-db.jpg
Last edited by dbranby on Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— David Branby

dbranby

Re: Project One, First Prelimary Critique

Post by dbranby »

Here is my second rough. It was inspired by a portfolio site designed by a Frenchman, Nicolas Bussiere, (http://www.nicolas-bussiere.fr), as well as by Cubism, Pablo Picasso, and some magazine spreads I've seen.
Attachments
cubistdb.jpg
— David Branby

rmiyashiro

Post by rmiyashiro »

Are you a sailor, David? The layout of you (I think that's you) on the water is professional. When I look at it I think of business and success. It reminds me of Oracle because of their sailing team and their success. I think I understand what you're trying to do in the other layout but it doesn't quite work for me. Perhaps if you tried placing the smaller photo in different areas and sizes or choosing an entirely different photo. Both have a clean look to them; everything lines up nicely. Both hold my attention. Right now I prefer the sailing layout, but with some tweaking (meth use optional) the other could work better.
Ryan 'Danger' Miyashiro

raoki

Post by raoki »

Wow those are very professional looking already! I love the color scheme and the position of TMCC logo.

I'd only say that maybe the negative space of your introduction is almost touching you and the rope, so it should be moved to upper right or you can change the shape of text square and move it to lower left.

The second one is so artistic and nicely simple. I'm not enough to find any improvement for this one, sorry :roll: haha
Remi Aoki :D

dazey_duck

Post by dazey_duck »

Hi David, I really like were your top design is going. The use of negative space in the lower part of you home page really brings out the text and balances your photograph quite nicely. I am conflicted with where you have chosen to put your type on top of the photo, maybe add a transparent white box or circle to place the text in ore move paragraph around a bit, the site looks great but the text is throwing the composition off.
Kaylyn Dazey
GRC Student at TMCC

Joe_Morales

Post by Joe_Morales »

Hi David,

I like what you have done with your layout designs very clean and organized. I am personally leaning towards your sailing layout. The suggestion I would have is to add a bit of color or a graphic to draw the viewer to the bottom of the page to create some visual contrast. I find the overall design very grey and could use a little something overall nice designs.
Joseph Morales

kaycee_weddell

Post by kaycee_weddell »

David,

Both designs look great, so good job! Personally I am leaning more towards the black and white design. Your layout is very unique and professional. I think that it could use a little bit of color though to divide your grayscale up a little bit. At the bottom it looks like you're using a light gray text color. I think that if you tried using white it would help that text pop off the page a little more as well as add some contrast to your design. Overall great job!
Kaycee Weddell

KamiGurl

Post by KamiGurl »

Hi David,

Wow! Both of your layouts are very clean and professional! They both are intriguing and work well! You could honestly go with either one since they both look great! Personally, I think I like the first one more (the one of you as a sailor)! It represents who you are more. If you go with that one, the only thing I'd recommend is maybe some color in the type or in the flag to make them pop! Overall, Great Job on both layouts! Nicely done!
~Kami

lornrocks

Post by lornrocks »

Both of your layouts are really strong but I think there's something about that second one that really draws me in. I like the minimalist design with the photograph you've included. It looks really sophisticated and professional. You've utilized white space really well with that one, and the text placement choice is excellent. However, I will say that you should play around with size a bit more, and that that top line of text on the top left corner is kind of out of place. Perhaps you could line up the main block of text next to the photograph so the bottom of the photo and the bottom line of text are in line with each other, and move that top line of text underneath the main block or line it up with the top of the photo, perhaps?

The first layout is also well done, but it comes off TOO monochromatic for me. Black and white is sophisticated and edgy but I wouldn't be afraid to experiment with color if I were you. Maybe on the main text on the photograph so it doesn't blend in too much? The overall layout of the design is very professional looking, it looks exactly like something I would find from a major website like a news site or even a store.

I prefer the bottom layout but I think it depends on what you're looking to convey to people. Good luck!
Lauren Solinger

dnorwood

Post by dnorwood »

Both of these are very good. Your choice which one to go with. I only have one suggestion for each:

Rough 1, lake pic: The contrast on the flag could be toned down just a little bit. Right now it kind of 'glares'.

Rough 2, self pic: It seems to need something in the big, blank white space (or at least in part of it). Maybe moving the text up some and placing it in an offset box to match your face pic.

Happy Designing!
Denise Norwood