Project 1, First Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
lornrocks

Project 1, First Preliminary Critique

Post by lornrocks »

Hi, I'm Lauren, here are my links and roughs for Project 1. For this project, I decided to design web pages that reflect my personality. I could have went with a photo theme since I am a photographer, but opted to try some more graphic, illustrative elements instead, and so I have put in some drawings I've done. I wanted to emulate the style of web page we did in Brian's 119 class so the individual pages once you click on the links won't be too different.

Here are two websites I found inspirational:

http://www.colourlovers.com/
A website I used almost every day when I was working at UNR, I would filter using certain colors or search through themes for color schemes for posters and brochures I was designing. I had a whole folder saved with color schemes I liked.

http://designersof.com/
Another website I perused a lot when I was working at UNR, I would look through the archive for ideas on layouts and new trends in typography and illustration. Most of the designs on here are usually print or illustrative but sometimes they have good layout ideas for websites and product designs as well.
grc175_proj1_layout2.jpg
This layout is inspired by a popular Russian advertisement that people have co-opted for pretty much everything. I chose a darker color scheme to match the colors I chose for the drawing of me and to match the theme. The links on the navigation bar will go to each page, and the content will go where the gray box is on the "home" page or will link to the new web page for each project, depending on what each link is.
grc175_proj1_layout1.jpg
This layout is really light and girly and features a little doodle of me. The links on the navigation bar go to each new page and the content will probably go where that gray box is or to the web page featured. I chose some of my favorite colors and some cutesie stuff since I was born a week before Valentine's and I just love that whole aesthetic.
Lauren Solinger

rmiyashiro

Re: Project 1, First Preliminary Critique

Post by rmiyashiro »

The layout where cartoon you is hollering works well. The dark and light purpley triangle shapes bring the eye back to the page after seeing the character hollering. The second layout has a child-ish look to it which is ok if that's the look you want to create. Also on the 2nd layout, I might try aligning the class details to the right. Knowing that you're a photographer, if you used one of these for your photography I would use the first one. If you decided to to go with the 2nd layout and you wanted viewers to know that you are a photographer, you may wanna consider putting your best photo somewhere on there.
Ryan 'Danger' Miyashiro

dzynecin88

Post by dzynecin88 »

Thanks for sharing the website links, Lauren. They look like they have a great variety of ideas.

I like both of your designs, but feel most drawn to the purple/triangle one. I like the way you lead the viewer through your design and how you share yourself through your illustration. Your second design is solid and I like the illustration, but it lacks the interest you created in the first design.
Cindy Salyer

dazey_duck

Post by dazey_duck »

I really like the concept and energy in your first design...it really screams out at me. The colors are bold but not overwhelming and your caricature of your self really adds personality to the page. I do get lost in the competition though, I'm not sure were I'm supposed to look first because your background shapes are all triangles pointing my eye all over the place.

I think that can work, but the fact that you have a white square for your text box makes me want to look at all your pretty bright colors.
Kaylyn Dazey
GRC Student at TMCC

raoki

Post by raoki »

The first one probably represents you better but I think the second one is better as a website because it's very clear and easy on my eyes. I personally like the brighter colors than dark colors.
Remi Aoki :D

KamiGurl

Post by KamiGurl »

Hi Lauren,

Both of your layouts are quite different, and I'm really enjoying your style. You did well on color schemes and your illustrations :) Knowing that you're a photographer however, I kind of wished you put some of that into your website. (An idea perhaps?) just so people know what you are capable of. I think I'm going for more of your second one (the one where she's holding the balloons) only because I love the bright colors you put on this layout! Which ever one you choose, I think you did a great job on both!
~Kami

dnorwood

Post by dnorwood »

Both are interesting designs and are laid out nicely. I prefer the top one, though. It has more movement and visual interest to it. I don't think you need the 'Proj. 1' link since this home page is our project 1. The second design feels kind of flat...it is cute, but not exciting. You might consider a drop shadow with the doodle to make it pop out more. The frame around the 'About Me' box doesn't seem to fit in with your theme. It is much heavier than the rest of the content. A suggestion would be to change the shape and have a very thin border on it, maybe sketch a heart since that is what your balloons are.

Happy Designing!
Denise Norwood

ariaaearnest

Post by ariaaearnest »

Hey Lauren!

Let me just say that I really love both of your website designs! They are both super cute!

I really love the theme of your first website design. The colors are nice on the eyes and the design elements are super interesting. For your illustration at the top I would give it some varying line width, shading or make it look more pop art inspired. I think that would add an interesting bit of texture to your design! I feel like this is the design you should make into your final.

Your second design is super cute too! I love the cute little illustration in it. I feel like your colors could be less saturated though. Especially the color of you text in your about. The light color and high saturation blends with the background and makes it really hard to read.
Aria Earnest

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Hey! That colo(u)rlovers website is pretty darn interesting. Nice find!

I think your first design is working well. I say go with that one.

The shouting graphic at the top is hilarious and a great way to call attention to your top banner content and navigation. I like that weird bandaid font you're using as well. It works with the whole weirdness/whimsy vibe you've got going on here. The bodycopy type is large and easy to read. It even has indented paragraphs, how old school. I like the horizontal mirroring you've got going on with your background pattern vs. your header.

I'd be curious to see what it looks like with some brighter colors. Maybe use some of the colors used in your shouting self portrait. You can also loose the text box if you keep your current colors. I think your type would contrast nicely with your background without needing a box to put everything in.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

kaycee_weddell

Post by kaycee_weddell »

Good job! I enjoy both of your designs. They are very you which is awesome. I think I am preferring the shouting design. I think it is very clever and the angles make it very interesting. I like how you lead the viewer through you'r design with that movement. Your image is great too. The only thing I would fix would be the alignment of the text. I'm not sure if that's how you're going to keep it because it only has placeholder text but I think a justified alignment might be stronger. Overall great job!
Kaycee Weddell