Project 1, Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
dnorwood

Project 1, Preliminary Critique

Post by dnorwood »

The two inspirational sites I found are:

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/252650
This article has information about uncluttering a web page while still being able to highlight the contents. I'm thinking I can declutter my 'mirror' rough more.
rough_1_mirror_dnorwood.jpg
http://www.awwwards.com/
The web pages shown on this site gave me the idea of using just one picture as the full background with other images/text on top of it. I used this idea in my 'sky' rough.
rough_2_sky_dnorwood.jpg
An added note...I haven't done anything with the type besides make sure it was there. That is one of the things I will be working on.
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone.
Last edited by dnorwood on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denise Norwood

dzynecin88

Re: Project 1, Preliminary Critique

Post by dzynecin88 »

I love the simplicity of your websites, Denise, as well as your color choices. Particularly, though, I really like your poem. As a mature student, I appreciate the reminder!

The only thing I would look at would be a little more contrast with the type.

Well done!
Cindy Salyer

rmiyashiro

Post by rmiyashiro »

Thank you for those informative links. I'll definitely look back to those for inspiration. I, too, enjoyed the poem you've included as your body copy. I like the use of serif fonts but I would watch the use of italics. I'm not sure if that's just how the typeface is or if it's the font. The seriffed type complements the classic, welcoming look of both of your layouts. I think the mirror layout works best right now. If you adjusted with the alignment of the body copy and menus in the other layout I might like it more.
Ryan 'Danger' Miyashiro

raoki

Post by raoki »

I like your choices of the background for both. Your first layout is very coherent. You can just fix the spacing of the navigation.

I really love the background picture but I guess the first layout is better as your final layout choice because I can't see your face on the second one.
If you wanna stay with your second one, then you can just align the body text and put a picture which shows your face :)
Remi Aoki :D

dbranby

Post by dbranby »

1. As a writer, I love your poem and have a great appreciation for both its subject matter and your generosity for sharing it.
2. I appreciate the version where we can see your face -- it's more engaging than the second version. I'd like to see your header (name) and links in a contrasting style of typography, such as a strong sans serif or perhaps a slab serif ... something to contrast with your poem typography, which is a traditional serif italic.
— David Branby

lornrocks

Post by lornrocks »

Denise,

I think your first design is very pleasing. It's interesting, but not too cluttered, and has a nice aesthetic to it. I like your text placements and use of the navigation bar and the colors are very soothing. I almost feel like the image of your face in the mirror needs some sort of texture or background since the stark white looks too fake and cut out.

The second layout has nice imagery and text but it's a bit cluttered and it's hard to read the text with the image so prominent in the background. If you're set on that one, I would maybe consider either lowering the opacity on the background image itself or inserting lowered opacity squares behind the text to sort of pop it off the background.

Whichever layout you choose, I'm sure they'll be very nice!
Lauren Solinger

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

What a neat, meditative, simple set of websites you have here, Denise. Such a fantastic use of texture, either literally or through imagery choices on both of them. I think you have two equally strong designs here. Pick which one you want to go with. Both are very good.

I really like the use of the parchment texture in your first design. This is a great example of using a texture to really plus up a clean standard layout. It also shows what a perfectly chosen color/texture combo can do. The header and footer are acting as a strong frame for your central content area. Your type is well chosen and fits the warmth of the piece. I like the way you directly illustrate your poem with your picture. It brings us with you and puts us in your shoes.

I think the footer and navigation don't need to be as tall as they are and could stand to be vertically narrowed a bit. I'd also experiment with a bolder version of your typeface for the title and navigation. Also, I'd make your email and class info in the footer the same size.

The second designates texture in a whole different way. Whereas your first design used a literal texture, this design's texture is provided entirely by the image. The detail of the tree and the "gradient" of the night sky go a long way to establishing the feeling of the piece. I like the way the photo takes the poem in a more meditative, contemplative, abstract direction than the first one did. You're staring off into the night sky contemplating the meaning of the passage of time and you're also encouraging us to do the same thing. A very nice usage of a subtle drop shadow to pop the type against the photographic background. Usually type on a photographic background has legibility issues, but your drop shadow, plus placement ensures minimal interference from the image with the type. I also like the subtle color shift on your navigation as well.

I'd add that same drop shadow to the bodycopy of the poem. I'd also warm and darken the photo of you to match the night sky image surrounding it.

Excellent work all the way around!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

gr8ful1

Post by gr8ful1 »

I really like both of your designs, and the poem is awesome and gives both designs another level of depth. I prefer your sky design, it draws me in. I think all of your text choices and colors are good, they contrast well and are easy to read. I have read some other comments about only seeing the back of you, and I think they are right. I like the thought of the mirror image though, and was wondering if there would be a way to make the front image of you semi translucent and looking back at you from the night sky. I'm not sure it's possible or if composition-ally it'd work, but maybe something to play with.
Your other design is good also, I like the textures in your backgrounds. I think the contrast seems a little off in the text colors of your header and navigation layers though, maybe just a little muddy and not as easy to read. I do really like the mirror, I think you need some background behind your head though so it's not a white focal point.
Kirsten Sorensen

kaycee_weddell

Post by kaycee_weddell »

You have really good concepts in both of your designs. I think personally I am leaning more towards the second design with the night sky as a background. The colors are very pleasing and you did a great job making that text pop off with that yellow color. The only thing that I can see that really needs fixed is the white text. It gets a little lost as that sky gets lighter. If you use the same text color (yellow) I think it would help make it stand out. Overall great job!
Kaycee Weddell

dazey_duck

Post by dazey_duck »

I enjoy both sites and I'm torn between which one I favor over all. I think your layout in the first really communicates a dreamy yet conservative message and I think your color scheme really reminds the viewer of home and nature. As for your second design it elitists mystery and wonder. I think for both layouts maybe you could bring more attention yo your buttons. I like that they are simple but using a different typeface could really draw more attention you your navigation and make your layout look more interesting.
Kaylyn Dazey
GRC Student at TMCC