Project 2 Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Ryan_Hartman

Project 2 Preliminary Critique

Post by Ryan_Hartman »

I've decided to recreate the exciting website http://www.renofurries.com/forum/

I kept the basic design with add color and imagery to keep things simple.
Character is based on Reno's Bighorn and i've presented the front page and about us site pages
I've also included the a fake link to our yearly convention http://www.biggestlittlefurcon.org

This website is also dead site, as we are using a second version of this forum.

Anyone that is interested about the community should check out http://www.renofurries.com/forum2/
Attachments
Forum front page
Forum front page
About us page
About us page

dzynecin88

Re: Project 2 Preliminary Critique

Post by dzynecin88 »

What an interesting challenge, redesigning a forum site. Your design is certainly more engaging than the original and has alot of character. I think the font you chose works well for the title, but not as well for the subhead on the "About Us" page.
Cindy Salyer

rmiyashiro

Post by rmiyashiro »

Quite an improvement. The gradient is nice and the font choices are good. I'd adjust the spacing of the navigation if you aren't going to add another button between 'index' and 'about us.'
Ryan 'Danger' Miyashiro

lornrocks

Post by lornrocks »

I like your gradient background and the little paw prints on the bottom page. The logo is a nice touch, using the Reno Bighorns mascot. Maybe add some words in the banner underneath it?

Is it possible to change the font to something a little more modern? As of right now, it looks pretty 2000's forum chic, and I think you can update it if you change the colors and fonts. I would also recommend making the block of text in the "about" page two columns so it's easier to read.
Lauren Solinger

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I would have like to have seen a second design. Image But, I'll give you feedback on what I see here.

You've got yourself a nice clean design going here. I like the blue to white background gradient. It adds depth and a nice bit of visual interest to the design. I also like the paw print graphic along the background. That adds a nice bit of visual texture. The bighorn dude adds a bit of fun to the piece. He seems ... intense. You've got good use of margin and padding to create proximity and group things nicely. Your navigation is large and easy to find and use.

You need to add a bit of margin around your group photo on the home page. I think it'd look best if the left edge of the photo aligned with the left edge of your type. Also, I'd pick a different font for your bodycopy, maybe a nice sans-serif type and use that type for your navigation as well. Finally, make your navigation type brown, the blue-purple type clashes a bit with the blue, black, and brown colorscheme you have going on here.

Good work, Ryan! You've got a nice start here.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

kaycee_weddell

Post by kaycee_weddell »

I agree with Cindy, I think that your fonts work well but the headline font isn't working as well as the subhead font. Maybe look into some different font styles and see if anything stands out to you. I think the pastel soft color scheme works well and I like how it has an illustrated feel to it. Good start!
Kaycee Weddell

ravens.way

Post by ravens.way »

I like your design. It is very cute. The layout is clean and the colors work together well.
Gwendolyn Jones-Gailey

gr8ful1

Post by gr8ful1 »

Your design is good, quite an improvement from the original. I like the gradient and font. Your 'Sierra' in the header is spelled wrong ;)
I like the font in the header, but I think it loses it's impact in the 'Who are the....' subheading. I might try to find a different font for that. Good job!
Kirsten Sorensen

raoki

Post by raoki »

This looks much more fun looking than the original!
The navigation should be aligned equally, and also you can put some more space between the main boxes or maybe you can even combine them together.
The typeface for the title is a bit too much wild looking so you can choose something more legible.
Remi Aoki :D

ariaaearnest

Post by ariaaearnest »

Hello Ryan,

I agree with Lauren on the website looking a bit late 90's-early 00's. I would go with different fonts and a more modern layout on your design. I would go with san-serifs so they are easier to read.
I would also try researching more modern website forum designs. I would make your gradient less saturated and have it match with the background on your mascot picture. The paw prints are a cute touch. Interesting website idea.

Aria
Aria Earnest