Need help coming up with a name for a site

Free discussion of anything not related to web design/development. Have fun. Remember: Play nice!
Lundholm

Need help coming up with a name for a site

Post by Lundholm »

After we finish class at the end of the semester I am going to make a website all about fantasy books, fantasy movies, comics, anime, RPG's, and other geek stuff. Any geeks in the class who can help me come up with an on-topic name I'd appreciate it... I was considering "Dragon's Sanctum" but it turns out it's taken :(
- Nathan Lundholm

Ravana

Re: Need help coming up with a name for a site

Post by Ravana »

I would advise staying away from cliche stuff like "dragon" and "sanctum" for the most part. Too cliche. Also, no LOTR references. Just sayin'. That said, geeks tend to like wit and pop culture references that nobody else gets. Maybe something along those lines? Or perhaps just go simple with it. For instance, one of my favorite blog sites is a general geek blog that posts all sorts of stuff from science stories to cosplay pics, and it's called "Geeks Are Sexy". Simple, nice, empowering, and plus their ... "logo" (I guess?) is a hot girl in office dress posing in her office chair using a laptop. There's a lot of good imagery there for geeks, especially since we tend to be a male dominated species. Another good blog site is the "Geeks of Doom". Anyway, point being you don't have to go all "dragon-y" with it. :) You can still bring forth specifically fantasy vibes (since you seem focused on that) with your name though. Maybe make a reference to the Song of Fire and Ice or The Kingkiller Chronicles. (Not many non geeks would get it, and it's also extremely popular and has the benefit of being recent - so it's a lot less likely to have been done to death.) I do however, forbid the referencing of Drizzt in any way! In fact, I feel kind of dirty for even having thought his name....

Anyway, I did have one question.... what, no sci fi? Sci Fi > Fantasy, IMHO. Plus, you could make all sorts of good references that are easier to do for titles than it is for fantasy. For instance, Lazarus Long's intelligent time travelling space craft is named 'Dora, IIRC. You could play with that. Or maybe even go really old school and make a John Carter reference (though the impending film will probably kill the obscurity of it).

Anyhow, I wish you luck in your endeavor good sir! Make sure to let us know when you have a URI to direct us to. :)
This post has been brought to you by the letter X, the number 5, and Larry Rubald.
"It's irony at a base level, but I like it." ~Bill Hicks

Lundholm

Re: Need help coming up with a name for a site

Post by Lundholm »

If it's about both fantasy and sci fi I could call it Sword and Blaster, or Sword and Phaser, or something along those lines...
- Nathan Lundholm