Project 2 Roughs

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
hummela

Re: Project 2 Roughs

Post by hummela »

your roughs are off to a good start but i think you have some room to play make it more of a theme of Octoberfest more german have fun with it, people that do beer fest are usually outgoing fun adventures people. i like the the been for the banner but the block of colors are not working for me, maybe create the streets of Germany for Octoberfest for the bottom..
Alexa Hummel :)

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Yeah. Going to need a bit of work here. I like where you are going with both of these, but they both need a bit of help before they get there.

I think the first one is the stronger design, mainly because of that large delicious beer picture. Unfortunately it's going to need a lot of fixing.

Let's start with the logo. I'm loosing the white text in the background. I think it could be separated from the background quite nicely with a simple drop shadown or a dark outer glow.

The navigation is large and easy to see, although I'm not sure I like the way it goes across the beer. I'd say shrink the text by half and right align it so it sits next to the foam head in the beer glass. I'd also choose a darker gold for the rollover color.

Now for the bodycopy. I think it's a menu on your homepage, but I am not sure. Shrink all your bodycopy text by one half to two thirds (like on your inner page) and right align it so it sits next to your beer glass. Use a non-bold version of your font and make it some non-gold color as gold gets lost in your background. Loose the horizontal stretching as well. Also, make sure to add a little margin between your bodycopy and your content container so that you copy has room to breathe.

Lastly, your semi-transparent content container needs to be more opaque. A lot of the text disappearing issues that the design has could be rectified by making the content container quite a bit less clear. Also, round the edges on that rectangle.

You've got some good bones going here, now let's put some meat on 'em!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

wendy_boddy

Post by wendy_boddy »

The beer image you chose in rough two is a very nice background. The rough one isn't bad, but the red background with yellow text is a little rough on the eyes. The beer image with wood background IS very pleasing to the eyes. Maybe implement the blue and white afrom the Bavarian flag vs. the red and yellow from the german. lol

not sure how they would take that

wendy

gotsatisfaction247

Post by gotsatisfaction247 »

i like your rought2 with a big backround of beer, I think its a good start. I would play arund with a different fond options, and would add more appetizing images to your home page and have less text.

ryansegal

Post by ryansegal »

Hi Shalie

While I like the imagery of your second rough because it has a great color scheme that could be useful, I think that the first rough's image (the two beers with a wood background) is a lot cleaner, and works better as a restaurant image. However, the German flag colors make it really hard to distinguish the text, so I definitely wouldn't use that as the background image there.
Ryan Segal
Radical Boy on a Mission

justinepaigek

Post by justinepaigek »

Hey, Shalie!

I like the website you chose, it has a lot of potential and seems very fun to play with! The image you chose for the first layout is cool, but I'm thinking the typeface is very hard to read being ALL CAPS. I'd use it for the links because they're not long in character, but a contrasting typeface with sentence caps would serve better for the bigger blocks of type. I kind of like the layout and concept of the second layout better, though, but the same holds true for the type there. Also, it hurts a little to look at just because the colors are so blaring. I know you're trying to pay tribute to the German flag, but perhaps toning those colors down and I mean WAY down to a very muted reddish-maroon and goldenrod/mustard yellow would make for a more visually pleasing design. Hope this helps :)
"I believe if you look hard, there are more wonders in this universe than you could ever have dreamed of."

Van Gogh said this. Not the real one, probably, just the one in that episode of Doctor Who.

kiwakom

Post by kiwakom »

I like the rough 2.
The beer photo is looks really good! it make me wanna drink beer now :)
I think the yellow type is hard to read, so you can change it.
Also, you can play with font a little bit more.
Good Job!

Kiwako

Miasera

Post by Miasera »

Hey Shalie,

While I like the cultural emphasis of both your roughs, legibility is a pretty big issue going on here. I also didn't get the impression that the place was a full-on restaurant and not just an independent brewer, so you might want to find a way to better emphasis that on these roughs. All that said, I'm favoring the first layout, I think it'd be great if you kept the background image while placing all the rest of the information in containers off to the right side of the page. There's definitely a lot of ways to go about revamping that site, and you're off to a good start here.
Cristina Sánchez
|| Certified Turtlefied