Project Two Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
hummela

Re: Project Two Preliminary Critique

Post by hummela »

you defiantly did a good job making the site more interesting and a better theme about belly dancers. I think I'm leading more towards the second layout more, although i do like the green snake print i like the layout of the second one more, maybe add the green color to the second layout..
Alexa Hummel :)

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Well. Don't these websites cove some ... interesting subject matter. I'd say you've done a really good job of making them presentable, Wendy.

I like the second, silver metallic, design. Both because of the silver metallic and because I think the layout is superior. The silver scales in the background are really eye catching without dominating the content. They let you know you have made a journey to someplace exotic. The dark bronze as a contrast color works really well on the layout. I also like the use of semi-transparency

The navigation is well placed and pretty easy to use considering it's complexity. Typographically, I think I like the faux-Arabic font from the first design better that the font you used on the second. Bring it over to the second. For the bodycopy, I think the sans-serif type works pretty darn well. I like the multi-column text layout as well. Perhaps try justifying your type and see how that looks?

Overall, aside from the nitpicks mentioned above, I think the only other thing it really needs is more pictures. On websites pictures are every bit as important as words and I think a few more pictures and a few less words would do wonders here.

A really neat look. I can't wait to see it as a website!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

old_man_pat

Post by old_man_pat »

Wendy, these be way cool! Between the two, I favor layout A. The silver background is easier on the eyes, and breaking the navigation bar into horizontal and vertical menus works better than the two horizontal menus in layout B. I also like how the colors of the photographs stand out more set against the silver background. Your selection of font for the title, not to mention the design of the snake for the S in 'Serpent', is awesome. One suggestion is to still keep the main horizontal menu throughout other pages in the site. I know the amount of information seems overwhelming, but I thought a few (DVDs, Books, etc) might contain relevant calls-to-action that the client would want available wherever visitors are. Perhaps some of the content in the vertical menu could be grouped, and brought out with dropdown menus? Either way, excellent work.
Patrick Smith
“To find yourself, think for yourself.”
-Socrates

gotsatisfaction247

Post by gotsatisfaction247 »

they both look much better then original. I think the green one looks fun, but I would take away the green/yellow gradient text boxses, they are very bold and distractiong. you can try and loose them complitley, you can have the text just against the bakround since it is pretty dark and if you pick light color for the text, like white, it might work well. Great start!

justinepaigek

Post by justinepaigek »

Hi, Wendy!

I like the site you've chosen, it's very unique! I do like the layout and color scheme of the second website, it just has a nicer look and feel, and it's more of an understated elegance. The first one kinda throws the "serpent" theme in your face and takes away from the dancers, which I think you'd rather focus, and which I think the second layout gives a better stage to.
"I believe if you look hard, there are more wonders in this universe than you could ever have dreamed of."

Van Gogh said this. Not the real one, probably, just the one in that episode of Doctor Who.

ryansegal

Post by ryansegal »

Wendy,

I think the snake skin texture is great for the background, but I would definitely make very light use of it elsewhere. I think it would work better as an accent rather than a focal point. Between the two roughs, I think I like the layout of the light background ones better. As far as color goes, it's weird. I think the green one is a little too much, but the light background isn't quite enough. A balance between the two of them might be the solution, but I think they'll look great either way!
Ryan Segal
Radical Boy on a Mission

Miasera

Post by Miasera »

Both these layouts are great Wendy, they've got well-organized layouts that still promote a fun feel. I like the home page of the first layout, while the second page of the second layout works wonderfully. I'd suggest going with the color scheme of the second layout, since the green is a bit too overwhelming for me and it still promotes fluid movement.
Cristina Sánchez
|| Certified Turtlefied

kiwakom

Post by kiwakom »

I like the white design :) It's looks nice.
It's good idea to use the snake skin texture. I like that.
Good job!

Kiwako