Project One Rough Layouts

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
Miasera

Re: Project One Rough Layouts

Post by Miasera »

Hey Ashley,

You've got some good starts here, though if I had to choose one it'd be the first layout. Maybe it's the bright red standing out against everything else, but compared to the background of the second one the latter seems a bit dull. However, I really like the font you chose for your name in the second one and if you could bring that to your first layout, it'd look great. I don't think your navigation buttons have to be so bright, bring the saturation down a little and you should be fine, while the project buttons feel like they might be better if they were rectilinear rather than perfect squares.

If you go with the second one, I'd recommend pushing the ratio of your background image and the grey to 3:1 rather than evenly down the middle, and find a way to make the navigation stand out more. Maybe take your accent color, which seems to be green, and apply a darker shade of it to the links. Even choosing a heavier font weight would work well.

Overall, a great start and I look forward to where you take either one of these designs.
Cristina Sánchez
|| Certified Turtlefied

ryansegal

Post by ryansegal »

Ashley,

In my opinion, the second design is the stronger of the two. You're right about the unification of color, as well as the fact that it does grab the attention. I think your name is a bit close to the edge of the column. I like your choice of typefaces, but I think it doesn't help the readability of the text at the bottom of the column. I'm sort of conflicted on the navigation buttons; of course they're similar in color to the main image, but I think the color is too bold for buttons. The text inside is also hard to make out, since it's close in value to the red background.

Your second design is clean, but I don't think it represents enough of what you wanted it to as far as nature. The image doesn't take up enough of the space to be considered the focus, in my mind. However, I quite enjoy the typeface you used for your name; it's clean and bold, but with a handwritten quality that makes it much more personal. The other typeface is a little bit too light, though, and even a little bit difficult to read.

Great starting points for sure: I'm looking forward to the final design!
Ryan Segal
Radical Boy on a Mission

schakarun714

Post by schakarun714 »

Hey Ashley, i really like your use of images in both of your designs. I'm definitely liking the first design better. i like how the image of the poppy controls the space, i think it creates a really good motion and visual hierarchy.
Shalie C. Forever Dreaming

Deth_Sines

Post by Deth_Sines »

Ashley,
Your roughs are very nice, you truly do like natural things in your designs. I love the giant image with the flower in your design number one. I also like your use of transparency in it as well. I would suggest using even more transparency and selecting the right typography to make sure that the copy is legible. Great job!