Would love the help for this journalism assignment :)

Free discussion of anything not related to web design/development. Have fun. Remember: Play nice!
LindsWalters

Would love the help for this journalism assignment :)

Post by LindsWalters »

If you guys can answer some question for me that would be awesome and would help me out a lot for my assignment.

Which computer do you prefer and why?

What do you use your computer for?

What programs do you use and why?

Does cost of a computer help you with choosing which system works better with what you do?
- Example: using a Mac computer for graphic arts is better quality sound and graphics?

Which computer has more problems, and what are these problems?

Have you always used Mac/pc and do you think about switching and why?

What are your thoughts on using a desktop computer to a laptop?

What are the pluses of using a laptop other than it is portable?

What is the range you have your computer cost you from lowest to highest?
- With having all of the programs anti viruses?

What have been some of the encounters you have for not liking the Mac/pc?

Why is this and has it happened numerous times for making you not to like the computer?

Are there things you can do on a Mac/pc that you can’t do on a pc/Mac?

What are some of the things a pc can do that a Mac cannot?
Lindsey Walters

brienicole

Re: Would love the help for this journalism assignment :)

Post by brienicole »

depends on the project. A few years ago I easily would have said a Mac, but in recent years it has gone the way of Coach purses.. status symbol. And for me personally, I like the ability to change what I want and the Opensourceness ( I just made that word up) of a PC. The total control that apple has is not great in my opinion.

The better question is WHAT DONT I use the computer for. We do any and everything on the computer. Watch TV. Do homework. My 5 year old is even home schooled on the computer.

Again.. a loaded question. Of course all the Adobe products. Browsers etc.. rarely do I use Office ( unless needed! hehe)

Does cost of a computer help you with choosing which system works better with what you do?
- Example: using a Mac computer for graphic arts is better quality sound and graphics?
This example you gave is no longer true. PC graphics can actually be better. ( think gamers). Macs have a nice GUI but Windows is catching up and I hear good things about 8. Price in my world is everything. Why would I buy a mac when I can do everything on that that I can my pc and have enough money leftover to buy an ipad or two..

Well obviously, PC has a tendency to have more virus' etc.. however that too is changing. I found that when my PC crashed.. I was able to open the case and fix and mod as I pleased. When my mac crashed.. I had to purchase parts from them and that cost more than the price of the computer..

see question 1

again depends on the project.. if Im working on a big design.. I want my mouse and tablet.. but if Im simply surfing the net etc... laptop works just fine. I can design on it too..but prefer by BIG ONE..(what my son calls it)

thats pretty much it.

huh?

See the above answers

Why is this and has it happened numerous times for making you not to like the computer?
See above

again see above

see question 1
~Brianne Porterfield
"What a crazy random happenstance!"

LindsWalters

Post by LindsWalters »

Thank you, I will probably end up using some of the answers or parts of these as quotes. :)
Lindsey Walters

LindsWalters

Post by LindsWalters »

Please keep the answers coming I could use all of them.
Lindsey Walters

Lundholm

Post by Lundholm »

As for me, I don't know why anyone would limit themselves. I use both.
Although my Mac is currently dead. I plan to replace it in January. If anyone is selling one I'd appreciate a heads up. (it has to run OS/X, not that old Mac OS Classic dirt. No dinosaurs allowed on my home network).

Can anyone tell me if they make network USB hubs? I hate having to unplug USB devices from one computer in order to use them on another.

They probably do. Someone told me there's no such thing as a network scanner and my new network printer has a network scanner built in so I don't trust answers from my friends anymore :)
- Nathan Lundholm

Lundholm

Post by Lundholm »

That said, I should add that I also have a state of the art security system and a concealed carry permit in case anyone decides to break in. But I know nobody in the class will.
- Nathan Lundholm

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I'm generally platform agnostic with slight Mac leanings (creative type dontcha' know). But generally whatever the best tool for the job is. I can use whatever computer you put in front of me so long as it has the right applications.

Everything. Below is a quick slice.

- Surfing the internet

- Designing print media

- Designing websites

- Word processing

- Bookkeeping

- Coding

- Listening to music

- Watching movies

- Downloading music/movies (legally of course :D )

- Shopping

- As a table to set things on

And many more.

- Adobe Creative Suite

- Microsoft Office

- OpenOffice

- All Browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE, etc.)

- Quickbooks

- Fetch

- Thunderbird

For a long time, I thought Macs were the king of graphics, but PCs have really run them down the last few years. Windows 7 in particular is very impressive. Right up there with the last few generations of OSX in my opinion. The platforms are basically equal when it comes to graphics. And Macs can run Windows now, so the business software and gaming advantages PCs had are now gone. It's really a matter of taste an preference.

PCs have more problems, by dint of (in the past) a shakier operating system and security issues because of their dominant market share. Until Windows 7, OSX was always a better, tighter OS. Now that Macs are gaining market share, we get to see where their security holes are. I still slightly prefer OSX though.

I've always used both. Never thought about going platform exclusive. Too limiting. And a good PC can be had for next to nuthin'. I've always kept a PC or two to supplement my Macs. Typically in some form desktop/laptop(s) combo.

Laptops are getting right up there with desktops in terms of raw power and graphical rendering ability. At this point, unless you need a bleeding edge rig for gaming or 3D rendering or something similarly CPU/GPU intensive, I'd say go laptop. Potability for the win. Especially given the sheer horsepower in some of the higher end laptops.

Portability is the killer app for laptops. Desktops are slightly better in most other things. But anywhere computing with the kind of processor and graphics power that used to be reserved for desktops only is a complete trump card. Sign me up!

My current rigs cost anywhere between $399 to $3000 for the computer itself. Add another $2-$3k in software (non-student graphics software is expensive!). This is one area where PCs have it over Macs all the way. You can get a very strong PC for $899 or so, while an equivalent Mac will run you at least $1k more.

Oh, I've had moments where I hate 'em both. Mostly when they get in the way of what I need to do. If I was designing a program/OS I would make it quick crash when it encountered something it couldn't do. I hate it when an application/OS just hangs there forever. I wind up waving my arms at the computer and shouting "Crash or don't!" at the top of my lungs. So I am platform agnostic in my hatreds as well. I'm a bit of a brown thumb when it comes to PCs so I've had more problems with them than Macs. But the problems I have with Macs seem to be worse. So it's a tossup in the end.

Again, I've had problems with both. I'm an equal opportunity hater!

Used to be. Now that Macs can run Windows, not as much anymore. I'd still give PCs an edge in gaming due to their modularity and ease of upgrades. Otherwise they're pretty equal at this point.

Again, now that Macs can run Windows there's not much separating the two except personal preference.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Lundholm wrote:
Can anyone tell me if they make network USB hubs? I hate having to unplug USB devices from one computer in order to use them on another.
Indeed they do!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Lundholm

Post by Lundholm »

Where can I find such a thing at a good price?
- Nathan Lundholm

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Lundholm wrote:Where can I find such a thing at a good price?
Looks like Amazon has some pretty good deals.