Project 03 Prelim

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
ngrover19

Project 03 Prelim

Post by ngrover19 »

Hi y'all, sorry this is late!

For my bad website I chose Press Start's website, an arcade bar here in Reno. Original website here https://renopressstart.com/

My redesign was an attempt to bring some more structure to the layout of the page. It felt like the original website utilized some fun art, but in a bad way. I wanted to also experiment with typefaces that fit the whole arcade style. A lot of neon colors, which I may have overdone but I still think is an improvement. If the layout is minorly improved, I'm happy. I do hope that I improved the interest for the target audience, that being 80's kids who drink a lot of beer.
Proj 3 computer rough home 1.png
Proj 3 mobile rough home 1.png
Proj 3 computer rough page 1.png
Proj 3 mobile rough page 1.png
The first design is lighter and bit more welcoming, whereas the second design is more centered on a darker, digital theme (matrix-y almost?) and is largely blank on the home page, with that radial blur coaxing you to go deeper into the site. I'm looking forward to expanding either idea and look forward to everyone's insight.
Proj 3 computer rough home 2.png
Proj 3 mobile rough home 2.png
Proj 3 computer rough page 2.png
Proj 3 mobile rough page 2.png
I took inspiration from the following sites (also "barcade" businesses):
https://barcade.com/
https://ioarcade.bar/
-Nathan Grover

LMisher

Re: Project 03 Prelim

Post by LMisher »

Hey NGrover!

These are some cool website ideas! It find of reminds me of that pizza place on Toy Story!
My favorite was the PC version of the Pacman game. The colors are awesome and the page is clean. I d.o have a few suggestions:
1. PC Arcade version - Lower the Press Start and line below it more towards the center of the page. Use a hamburger menu vs. a navigation menu on the mobile version.
2. The second version with the pizza and beer, I would change the font color to white (instead of black) on the pizza side so that it's easier to read on the pc version.
3. Same with the 3rd and 4th mobile versions regarding the hamburger menu.
Overall, you did a good job!
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

Sierra_Ross

Post by Sierra_Ross »

Hello!

I like both of these designs for different reasons. I love the colors of the second design and the the way you implemented the images, but I like the overall layout of your first design. I think I might prefer the first one just a little more because it's simple, but still fun. I also like the images you used for that one.

chloecutter

Post by chloecutter »

Wow, the second version is definitely my favorite, it captures the feeling of being in an arcade with the use of your imagery, color scheme, and use of fonts. The incorporation of the picture of the drink is a great way to sell the idea of alcohol being served there, so excited to see the finished version!

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh, I see you went and "did some research", Nathan. Excellent. Press Start is always a good time. Blow up that castle in Medieval Madness for me would you? Your designs are basically how Press Start is in the day vs how Press Start is at night.

I'm all about your second, more nocturnal design. It's very atmospheric. Really captures what it's like to be there at night. Pictures are worth a thousand words and your are telling stories. I love the colorscheme, or more accurately, how you let the imagery dictate the colors of the website. Your navigation's a scoreboard, and it's magenta on whatever page you are currently on. Nice! Good choices on your fonts. The digital typeface for your nav is fun and a simple sans-serif is working well for the rest of your type. It's hard edged and techy enough to help sell the place. Good margins throughout and a clean, easily navigable layout. You're letting the background pics do all the heavy lifting and it's working.

Toss a drop shadow on your bodycopy like you did on your navigation. It's getting a little lost in your image on your mobile version.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

Hello,
Well done on your project! I think both of these versions are looking great. I think for me the one that stands out more is the first one. The use of the tilt shifted image is really striking and gives the web page a real sense of depth. Well done.
-Cedar
- Cedar Moosmuller

Natuwu

Post by Natuwu »

Hi Nathan!
I really like the third design, I think its a great mix of both bar and arcade. But I really like the game idea you used for the second one, it's very creative. Overall you did a great job!
-Natalie Meza