Project One Preliminary Post

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
onnimelon

Project One Preliminary Post

Post by onnimelon »

Hi! I accidentally submitted to the forum post onto someone's forum post in comments! So sorry!

Here's the screenshots again:

I believe I've covered the basics outlined as there is all the necessary information and images etc. I also tried to do 2 different designs at least, plus the mobile versions. The concept I based on other designer bio/blog websites since I wasn't work with a lot of information necessarily so I decided to stick to something really simple, that lead to other links. However, instead of blog posts it leads to project links etc.

I found these links inspirational because they give you lots and lots of visuals to get the visuals of web design down, but also prototypr also gives you articles on UI/UX/Web Design/Code and more. So it’s a rich resource in finding articles talking about web design news. However, onepagelove is no longer being supported so it will probably become outdated relatively soon. I do think there’s still good layout inspiration to be had but maybe ignore the “trendy” ones.
Design inspiration:
https://onepagelove.com/
https://prototypr.io/
Attachments
desktop-rough02.jpg
desktop-rough01.jpg
alexandra buyck :D

anacatnic

Re: Project One Preliminary Post

Post by anacatnic »

Hi hi!!

I like the layout of the first design! It's easy to read and cats should always be front and center haha. I would maybe lower your name and the class info to be centered with the cat photo, or right-aligned to help balance out the left-aligned paragraph. I think the second design's layout works well on mobile, it's a little hard to read on the website. Moving the cat to the left of the text boxes could help fix this problem (and you can make the photo bigger to be front and center haha :)). As for color, I really like the ombre purple, I would change the green to be a little lighter (maybe like a mint green) to help give more contrast!! Can't wait to see the results!!
-- Anastasia Valory 8-)

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I think I like your second design a little better, Alexandra. It feels more organized.

I like it's clean column layout down the middle. That works nicely for both mobile and computer layouts. A really nice example of center alignment without center aligning your bodycopy (which would look bad). Pretty good margins on everything as well. You use proximity to break up the sections within your design nicely. Your two typefaces work well together to create a clean look and feel. I especially like your headline text. It has a fun look and feel, really puts a smile on my face. Your navigation seems easy to see and use.

I'd make sure your content was as wide as the left edge of the "P" in "Projects" and the right edge of the "s" in "References". You have it that way in your mobile design and it works nicely. Your bodycopy text seems kind of choppy. Make sure there's enough room between paragraphs. I'd recommend lightening your teal a bit as well. It's a little clashy against your tomato red.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

ngrover19

Post by ngrover19 »

Hi Alex!

Beautiful image of a very prim and proper cat. Star of the show for sure, and works really well in your second submission, which is my favorite. The typeface used in titles is fun and reminiscent of a 70's feel. I noticed the second column for the red roughs have "references" in the desktop version and "resources" in the mobile, which is a small critique but overall very enjoyable website. Good stuff!
-Nathan Grover

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

Hi,
I like what you did with you layouts and clean margins. I think in your second design the layout is really strong but isn't helped by the negative space on the sides. I think either blowing up your images and writing and have the page scroll vertically, or to break up the original layout into a top and bottom and arrange those two pieces side by side.

-Cedar
- Cedar Moosmuller

LMisher

Post by LMisher »

Hello Alexandra!

I like both versions of your drafts, but my favorite is the mobile purple one. I would maybe increase the font a little bit and use a three-line hamburger menu on the mobile versions. This will save space and give it a cleaner look. Overall, nice start to this project and I look forward to seeing the finished product!
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

Brooke_Brown

Post by Brooke_Brown »

Hi Alexandra! I think your cat is so fricken cute! I really like the purple computer layout but i love the red mobile layout, i wonder if you could maybe squish the two somehow because i love the red mobile layout and how you divide everything with the lines. In my opinion it looks way cleaner :)
Brooke Brown

shasta_cola

Post by shasta_cola »

HI, Alex! I love the layout of the first design and the fonts and colors for the second design.

I think it would be best if you chose the first layout because, with the second layout, the computer design had way too much empty space. I think this is something a lot of us struggled with at first, because the computer and mobile designs have such different ratios.

That being said, I think the first layout works great. The only things I would change are lightening up the text boxes for the projects a little bit, like how Anastasia suggested mint green. Also, I think the text for the projects themselves should be a little larger.
~ Shasta Mori ~