Project One Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.

Who Wore It Better?

1. Mobile Teal and Glitter
17%
2. Mobile Basic Black and Gold
17%
3. Computer Basic Black and Gold
No votes
4. Computer Teal and Glitter
67%

Total votes: 6

LMisher

Project One Preliminary Critique

Post by LMisher »

Hello Everyone!

My name is LaTara Misher, and I am excited about this first project! I chose incorporate some of my favorite colors (teal, gold and black) into to my work, because I believe that they are warm and "feel good" colors to attract the eye. I am on my way to planning my future as an Event Planner who also specializes in website and social media management, videographer for special events such as weddings, baby showers and even funerals/memorial services. Until that day comes, my rough drafts are sprinkled with glitter and gold, to represent magic and that dreams can still come true!

I was inspired by the following websites for my thought process... I intend to go more in depth with the next process of this assignment, but here are the sketches that I had in mind for now!

1. https://paloma-fluid-demo.squarespace.com/
2. https://www.thecreativemomentum.com/folio/mediajel
Attachments
Preliminary Project Mobile Version1.png
Preliminary Project 1Mobile version 2.png
Prelim Project 1 version2.png
Prelim Project 1 version1.png
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Project One Preliminary Critique

Post by Instructor »

These look really nice, LaTara. I like what I see. I personally prefer the teal, gold, and black design.

I like the way the glitter sparkles behind your headshot. It's a column of gold flakes that draw the eye to your portrait. It looks like an 80's hair metal sparkshow. You also use it to underline yourself on your phone version, which makes for a nice effect. Your color scheme works well. The teal, gold and black play off of each other well. Your center gradient is smooth and draws the eye to your bodycopy easily. The teal is dark enough it makes for a good contrast with your white headline along with the black (obviously). Everything stands out nicely against it. Your two typeface choices play off each other well. I like the interplay between the script headline and navigation type and the serif bodycopy. The script also ties your navigation in with the rest of your design. Locks it all together. Speaking of your navigation, it's really easy to find and use (at least with my testing mouse pokes).

I'd make sure the script type in your buttons is of a similar weight to the script in your title. They seem a little light. Also make sure the text in your buttons is horizontally centered. Right now they're all over the place. Also, you don't need to have your hamburger menu on your computer layout since your buttons are right there or your buttons on your phone layout since your hamburger menu is right there. Also, on your phone bodycopy, watch the right edge. At the moment it's quite choppy.

Nicely done!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

chloecutter

Post by chloecutter »

Hey LaTara,

I love the teal design the most, the color contrast with the golden sparkles pops off the screen! The font for your name is playful yet professional, and the layout looks easy to navigate. Love it overall, great job!

onnimelon

Post by onnimelon »

I also like how nostalgic these design feel. It's also just very professional looking. White cursive in a black box might be too high contrast/harder to read maybe consider having the buttons be a dark color of whatever colors you are already working with :)
alexandra buyck :D

ngrover19

Post by ngrover19 »

Hi LaTara!

Wow. Really impressive work. The layouts of all 4 are great, the colors, visuals and shapes all work together nicely to present a rather impressive first draft. I like how you included those three little lines for an expanding menu tree! (though I think you missed it in your black and gold desktop submission). I also like the glittery features in all of them, except for the black and gold desktop, you've got a big old sparkle right in front of your face. Which could maybe be moved to cheekily accentuate your smile! :lol: . Your teal and glitter desktop is a spectacle and I would thoroughly enjoy opening up that web page. Really good stuff.
-Nathan Grover

Giselle

Post by Giselle »

Hello LaTara!
Both of these designs look AMAZING!! I am stuck between these layouts; my favorites are the computer teal glitter layout and the mobile black glitter. The computer teal glitter layout is easier to read, and your picture helps lead the eye smoothly throughout the composition. As well as the mobile black glitter, it is easier to read, and everything has space to breathe. The only thing I can think of to fix the design is to make the width of your text box smaller for the viewers to have an easier time reading. Everything else is great! :D
Giselle Sanchez

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

Hi Latara,
I really love these two pages, I think you did a great job with your color choice as well as your layout. I think either version here would be a great web page but if I had to choose I would go with the blue version. I think the blue and gold color stands out a bit more and I think having your image not be framed gives the whole piece a little more unity.

-Cedar
- Cedar Moosmuller

jillian_rodgers

Post by jillian_rodgers »

Hi LaTara!
Both designs look really amazing! I'm personally loving the teal design, since it adds a pop of color and pizzaz to the website. Everything looks so professional! Great job :)
-Jillian Rodgers

kristenrothbauer

Post by kristenrothbauer »

Hi LaTara!
I really love both of your designs but I think I favor the second one. I really like your use of space and graphics it feels really organized and natural. Great work!
✮✢❂✶✧
Kristen Rothbauer