Project 1, Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.

Which one??

Pink_page
No votes
Pastel_page
83%
A mix?
No votes
Try something else, girl
17%

Total votes: 6

Giselle

Project 1, Preliminary Critique

Post by Giselle »

Hello everybody! My name is Giselle, and these are my four roughs for our first project. I could not decide between a simple, light pastel, website page or a loud, vibrant one. Please let me know which one you find the most intriguing or what I can do to further into this project! These rough home pages answer the call to action because they include color, different links, or room for references, contact info (email), and future projects.
These are the two websites I found that inspire me!
https://www.ariesmoross.com/
https://www.lottanieminen.com/
They inspired me because of how they both approached showing off their designs. It is subtle and very prominent at the same time! The first website listed is my favorite so far, Aries artwork is breathtaking and motivational. Once I laid my eyes on their website, I wanted to start my designs right away. Aries homepage starts with white-grey lettering on all the projects they did and then when you scroll down, you are hit with rays of colors! It's a true masterpiece.
Attachments
pink_page_mobile.jpg
pink_page_computer.jpg
pastel_page_mobile.jpg
pastel_page_computer.jpg
Giselle Sanchez

LMisher

Re: Project 1, Preliminary Critique

Post by LMisher »

Hello Giselle!

I really enjoyed the colors chosen for the second design. It was clean and easy to read; however, I found the first version to be a bit difficult to read due to the font color and style. I would try using a white font on a dark background. Also, I would just have one suggestion for the mobile versions... Instead of having the buttons (project 2-4), I would replace them with a hamburger menu. This will allow more space on the mobile version of the site. Overall, you did a great job. I look forward to seeing the final version of your project.
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I'm all about that pastel one, Giselle. The colors on the other one are waaaay to clashy.

Plus the layout is better, especially the mobile version. It feels very book-like. But something whimsically high concept. I like that you just picked one typeface (Garamond?) and used a bunch of different weights of it to establish hierarchy throughout your design. I also like the use of the horizontal rules to clearly delineate different sections of your layout. Nice choice of photo as well. It serves to reinforce the whimsical fun energy you're establishing here. Good use of margins throughout, everything has room to breathe and does not feel crowded. Nice use of proximity and distance as well to show us what does and does not belong together.

I'd be tempted to make your photo a duotone or tritone in Photoshop with your pastel colors, see how it looks with your pastel background. It's cool colors are a step in the right direction as it is, but I think you can go further. I'd also wonder what your design might look like with your type and horizontal rules in a dark color, like a black or purple to play off the lighter pastel background. On your computer version, enlarge or scoot your photo over so it's left edge matches the left edge of the paragraph above it.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

chloecutter

Post by chloecutter »

Hey Giselle,

I enjoy the light blue/violet layout the most, the contrast of the white text over it pops off the screen, and the typestyles are bold and professional. I enjoy the lines used to divide the screen as well, it creates organization and easier website navigation. Great job!

onnimelon

Post by onnimelon »

I like the mobile version of the second one but I don't know about the desktop version. I feel like all the text touches the edges a bit much. I like space but if it's at the edges I'm not sure if that's strong
alexandra buyck :D

sophy_gg

Post by sophy_gg »

Hey giselle!

I really like your both version designs using the pastel colors. I can choose your pastel because it is very cute the color using lilac or violet/blue, I think it is sound aesthetic and kawaii. Great job
✦SØphia~GØmeƵ✦

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

Hey Giselle,
Well done with these pages, I really like the second one. Feel that it is quite a bit more legible with the lighter background. I also like the use of the bolder fonts, I thought it gives this page a stronger hierarchy than the other.

-Cedar
- Cedar Moosmuller

ngrover19

Post by ngrover19 »

Hey Giselle!

The noticed a unique incorporation of TMCC in your first submission and I think that is a creative solution to the requirement. The second submission is my favorite, it's a soothing shade of lavender and clean. I also really like the typeface used in the first one. A suggestion may be to change up the colors between texts ever so slightly, and possibly use a bolder typeface on that first one. Great work!
-Nathan Grover

jillian_rodgers

Post by jillian_rodgers »

Hi Giselle!
I am really enjoying the pastel design the best. The font is easy to read and stands out versus the dark blue theme. Great job!
-Jillian Rodgers

kristenrothbauer

Post by kristenrothbauer »

Hi Giselle!
I definitely favor the pastel layout. I think for that one maybe experiment with some thicker fonts to help with the readability or maybe mute the light purple a little bit? But I love the serif type faces you picked and the color palette it works really well with the picture you chose, good work!
✮✢❂✶✧
Kristen Rothbauer