Project01_Preliminary#1

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.

Which one do you like?

1 design#1
60%
2 design#2
40%

Total votes: 5

KAWINTHRAC

Project01_Preliminary#1

Post by KAWINTHRAC »

Hi my name is Kawinthra. I want to make my design simple and easy to navigate. I chose to use my photograph as a background for both with my name as a logo of the site on the left side of the page. All projects and information will be under header/navigation. The different between these two design is how to navigate the site. The first design, users have to access project and other information by clicking at navigation (3 lines) on the top right corner. The second design, users can access projects and information by clicking the headers (words) at top right of the page.
project01_rough01_kc.jpg
project01_rough01_mobile_kc.jpg
project01_rough02_kc.jpg
project01_rough02_mobile_kc.jpg
For my inspiration websites I chose Patagonia and Olson Kundig.

https://www.patagonia.com/home/
Patagonia is a retailer of outdoor recreation clothing. I like how easy it is to navigate the site both on computer screens and mobile devices. Instead of using a lot of text to tell stories, they use beautiful photos to communicate to users and make the topics more interesting. The mobile version does not slow down when users want to shop for their products.

https://olsonkundig.com/
The other website I like is Olson Kundig. They are an architectural firm based in Seattle, WA. Their website organizes by project names laid out in grids. The home page starts with the top 4 projects, and then break with a short paragraph about who they are before getting users into their projects, which laid out in grids. The same goes for mobile versions. The site is very to use.
Kawinthra Chongsuksantikul

LMisher

Re: Project01_Preliminary#1

Post by LMisher »

Hello Kawinthra!

First, I just wanted to say that both versions of your project are absolutely breath -taking. Especially the version with the snowcapped mountains. I would just have one suggestion for the second mobile version... Instead of having the headers (project 2-4), I would replace them with a hamburger menu, just like you did with the green waterfall version. This will allow more space on the mobile version of the site. Overall, you did a great job. I look forward to seeing the final version of your project.
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh my, Kawinthra. I am an absolute sucker for high contrast, so I'm throwing my vote to your design #2.

It looks like a friggin' coffee table book. Great choice of photo. It's immediately eye catching, adds heaps of color, and is visually interesting. You want to stay a moment and take it in. I can smell the cool morning alpine air looking at it. And then you frame it so well with the black header and footer. They do a great job of framing and bounding in the photo. Nice work with your type as well. The navigation and bodycopy type is taseful and subtle while your logo type is clean and technical (I keep saying KAWINTHRAC sounds like a midcentury computer). Great use of contrast throughout, as one would expect from a black and white layout. Your layout iteself is very simple, but that's okay, it should be since it's basically a photo album to show off whatever cool photo you want.

I would add a little more leading (line spacing in web terms) to your bodycopy. The lines feel a little tight given how much room to breathe the rest of it has. I'd be tempted to put a dark transparent background behind the bodycopy rather than a light one. That way the snow won't clip the type on your mobile version. Maybe run the photo horizontally edge to edge? Keep the black header and footer though.

Great work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Brooke_Brown

Post by Brooke_Brown »

Hello Kawinthra! I love both designs! It's so hard to choose! I love the green waterfall design and the high contrast yet nature and comforting vibe it gives off but the second design and the mountains are so beautiful and the mountains against the black design are so appealing to the eye and have such a warm good vibe. I also love your font choices!!
Brooke Brown

onnimelon

Post by onnimelon »

there's something about that cooling green and white I prefer. The font choices are nice as well. That desktop version gets a chef kiss
alexandra buyck :D

Giselle

Post by Giselle »

Hi Kawinthrac!
I am in love with both of these designs! My favorite would be the first design. The layout for the webpage looks evenly spaced out and everything has room to breathe. The eyes of the viewer get led easily throughout the composition. The one thing I would change or fix would be the contrast of the picture; it is beautiful but very vibrant. Everything else looks ready to be turned into an amazing website!
Giselle Sanchez

ngrover19

Post by ngrover19 »

Hi Kawinthra!

Your images are stunning, and the second snowy mountain ones evoke a very calming, cerebral feeling. Allowing most of the space to be taken up by the image is a good choice, and you showcase the beauty nicely by sorting all of the links on the border. The body of text feels a bit lonely, but I am skeptical to say that's a critique since it seems to work so well. As for the first submission, I really enjoy that you colored the TMCC logo with a matching gradient. Very well done!
-Nathan Grover

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

Hello,
I love the use of nature in these web pages, I think the second one is your stronger one. I really like the bridge and waterfall but I think the imagery isn't as stunning when its in the horizontal layout and ends up with too much negative space.

-Cedar
- Cedar Moosmuller

kristenrothbauer

Post by kristenrothbauer »

Hi Kawinthra!
I absolutely love the picture in the second design as well as the typeface you chose for your name, but the paragraph is a little bit hard to read. The organization and the contrast of the deep green and they white space on the first design works so well. Just an idea, maybe see how the second picture looks with the first layout? Love both designs for different reasons but I'm leaning the first.
✮✢❂✶✧
Kristen Rothbauer

jillian_rodgers

Post by jillian_rodgers »

Hi Kawinthra!
I am absolutely in love with the second design, it's so clean and the imagery is absolutely breathtaking. I also enjoy your minimalistic approach with the font. Great job!
-Jillian Rodgers