Lost after slicing...

Got a question for your instructor or classmates? Found a neat technique you want to share? Post 'em here.
phabegger

Lost after slicing...

Post by phabegger »

I'm probably the only one who is lost and frustrated. Went to the lab this week for assistance to optimize my slices in photoshop, create site definition in Dreamweaver, and load on FTP via Fetch. My project one folder has an "image" folder inside an "image" folder. The second folder has an index.html file enclosed. I believe I messed up the location (thread?) in Dreamweaver because Fetch has my CSS/Images/Scripts inside but all are empty. Lab techs aren't sure (Thurs-Friday nights) of what to do. We've dumped everything and restarted from slicing several times. I now have a couple of versions in different places. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'll be trying the lab again Saturday afternoon. Thanks - Pat

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Lost after slicing...

Post by Instructor »

I'm sorry you're having such trouble, Pat. I think you're going to have to go all the way back to your sliced file to fix it.

• 1. Save your current work and create a brand new root folder.

2. Inside that root folder create an "images" folder, a "css" folder, a "scripts" folder and a "working_graphics" folder.

3. Copy your already sliced PSD file from one of your previous versions into your working graphics file.

4. Open that sliced PSD file in Photoshop.

5. Go to File > Save for Web and Devices.

6. On the Save for Web and Devices window that pops up, click on the 2-Up view tab in the upper left corner.

7. In the Optimized window (whichever window is not marked "Original") click on each slice and optimize it as we went over in class.

8. Once you are done optimizing your slices, click "Save".

9. On the Save Optimized As window that pops up, find your root folder and select it. (Note: DO NOT select any of the subfolders in your root folder, you want your HTML sitting loose in your root folder.)

10. Go to the Format dropdown (the first of three dropdown menus at the bottom center of your Save Optimized As window) and select "HTML and Images".

11. Next go to the Settings dropdown (the second of three dropdown menus at the bottom center of your Save Optimized As window) and select "Other..."

12. On the Output Settings window that pops up, go to the second dropdown menu in the upper left and select "Slices".

13. In the Slices menu make sure the "Generate CSS" radio button is selected. This will export DIV tags and not tables.

14. Open the second dropdown menu in the upper left and select "Saving Files".

15. In the Saving Files menu, go down to the "Put Images in Folder" text box. Make sure the checkbox next to it is checked.

16. In the Put Images in Folder textbox, put a forward slash ( "/" ) after "images" and type in whatever name you want. This will create a subfolder in your images folder to stash your slices.

17. Once you have named your subfolder, you can now click "OK" in the upper right corner. This will close the Output Settings window.

18. Go to the Slices dropdown (the third of three dropdown menus at the bottom center of your Save Optimized As window) and select "All Slices"

19. Name your file "index.html".

20. Click "Save" at the bottom right of your Save Optimized As window.

21. Save and close your Photoshop file.

You should now have an "index.html" file in your root folder and a subfolder in your "images" folder. You are now ready to start messing with them in Dreamweaver.

If you're still having trouble. Let's take a look after class on Monday.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Mr_nonoffensive

Post by Mr_nonoffensive »

You're not the only one Pat, this is exactly the same problem I was having. Hopefully these instructions work or else I'm going to just drop the class. Tried resolving this shit earlier, when I had time, but the site was down and there was also a guy who said he'd help me but he hasn't returned my calls.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I hope you've got everything squared away after tonight, Nick. Ping me or post here if you have any more questions. Sorry about the site going down and thanks for the heads up about it's absence.

Also, it's much tougher for someone to accidentally rip down the forum, so if you can't find the site, go to this direct link and that'll take you to the Resources section of the forum.

http://www.grc175.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173