matching logo colors to site?

Got a question for your instructor or classmates? Found a neat technique you want to share? Post 'em here.
TommieGuy

matching logo colors to site?

Post by TommieGuy »

I have a logo for my name (developed in 122). It's colors are red, black and white.

My site resembles an old photograph album. the home page is all muted colors.

the two don't go together at all. If you have a brand/logo, do you just use it as is? does it matter that it has one feel and the web page has another feel?

what is logo etiquette?

joshuamiles

Re: matching logo colors to site?

Post by joshuamiles »

I think that either the logo or the imagery used on the website could be up for color change. If you are looking for a more elegant look maybe tone down the red that are in your current logo. from what i remember your photos had more elegant characteristics and seemed like more of the style you were looking for. I think that in this point in our career you can edit your logo until it expresses you and your completely happy with it and any other elements that relate to your identity (website). Hope this helps.

joshua

R3YNO

Post by R3YNO »

It isnt a bad Idea to match your site colors to your brand but It may weaken your brand, If you want a consistent style I would tailor the site to match your branding. However If you could provide a copy of the logo (I dont quite remember what it looked like) It can help us answer your question

cheyanne

Post by cheyanne »

I agree, it would be helpful if you posted the logo and a screenshot of what your site is looking like. The only suggestion I can think of right now is that you could always display the logo in black and white or greyscale.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I'd say your fellow students have mostly covered the gamut here. You've got two options:

A. Alter the design of your site to fit your logo.

or

B. Alter your logo to fit your design.

You have to take a look at your logo and your site design and ask yourself which one you don't want compromised.

My own thoughts we're to do what a lot of companies do and create an alternate mark or logo. Something like a black or white or grayscale version of your logo. Many companies use their alternate mark for situations when their primary logo wouldn't look right. Check out how many variations there are of the TMCC logo, for example.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173