Preliminary Critique for Project 3

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
susielang

Preliminary Critique for Project 3

Post by susielang »

Hi,

Here are my roughs for Project 3.

The first pair:
I wanted it to be more focused on the image representing graphic design. My goal was for the layout to be simple and easy to read through. May add in different typefaces later. Was going for something more simple.

The second pair:
While I also focused on images, I also put more emphasis on type and body copy. I added a more "fun" typeface for graphic design and also mixing a bigger images with smaller ones to give it more variety.

Whichever layout I go with I think i want to experiment more with the color.
Attachments
extra_page_1.jpg
home_page_1.jpg
extra_home_page_2.jpg
home_page_2_1.jpg
Susie Lang

erika.murray

Re: Preliminary Critique for Project 3

Post by erika.murray »

Your typographic layout is for sure more eye-catching. The layout is nice and neat. The bold colors work well too. Instead of repeating the typographic image on each inner page, find some cool photos to put on them instead. Great job!
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

ktwy

Post by ktwy »

The first layout looks really nice and uniform. Maybe you can try experimenting with color backgrounds as well so that you use up some of that white space??

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

First layout it a must! The way you positioned the type is perfection and I love the color scheme you've chosen, great work! It seems that all design elements in the layout are weighed to the right a bit, center adjust everything and you're golden.
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

chaytothet

Post by chaytothet »

I love the first one with the typographical aspect. It really conveys what the program focuses on!

I think you could add some contrast to your navigation bar? Maybe commit to a dark grey that would make the words pop or bring some darker colors into the type?

Great job!
-Chalyn

Just because my path is different doesn't mean I'm lost
-Gerard Abrams

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I like your first word cloud design. That thing looks super cool. The mix of colors really draws the eye. Maybe it's less of a word cloud and more of a word quilt. I like your mix of fonts as well. The bold and medium sans-serif play off the lighter sans-serif bodycopy on your home page. I also like the calligraphic font you used for the program title. All of this is brightened by being on a stark white background with almost backlights the color. Your navigation is easy to see ans use. Nice work tying both homepage and inner page together with a common header. The dividing line at the top of your footer is really strong as well. It works well to divide the sections. Good use of margin on your homepage as well. It really helps promote grouping and lines the page out into different parts.

Scoot your "Contact Info" on your homepage footer in slightly so it aligns with the left edge of the line above it. Make sure the left and right edges of your columns on the homepage match the left and right edges of the line. Add a little more distance between the word cloud and your title on your inner page. I also don't think the bodycopy font on your inner page needs to be quite that bold.

Good work, Susie!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

Hi,

The second set of designs (home_page_2_1) are easier to read and utilize spacing well. The margins need a little bit, but the design is easy to navigate and flows well.
Melissa Peel

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

The first design with the word cloud is so much more interesting!

My only problem with it is the lack of space between different elements. The Contact feels squished on the bottom, the secondary navbar is really close to the word cloud and doesn't line up with it, and the page 1 headline feels sort of squished in the space it's in. I'm also not sure about the Graphic Communications box in the upper lefthand corner.
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Overall I like your first design the most, it nice easy to read and quite simple in a good way. Your Second design is also looking well and franky you can go either way.
Kyler Rose

Cassiebowers

Post by Cassiebowers »

I like your first design with the word cloud. Maybe change the blue for green on the header and nav because the green TMCC logo looks a bit out of place.
Cassandra Bowers