Project III Roughs, by Francisco

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
fjbo

Project III Roughs, by Francisco

Post by fjbo »

THE TRILOGY
It's the third delivery of this trilogy, which as in any other trilogy means it is going to suck or it's going to pave the path to prequels. Not really, but anyways, for project three I decided to build upon the new marketing strategy that the college has came up with, and that is: Doodling in class, pays off. Sort of.

CONCEPT 1
I wanted to give an official look and feel to concept 1, so I gave it the TMCC treatment. Using the official TMCC logo and usage guidelines (most of them, though). I created this layout to take advantage of imagery, even for the navigation/menu (which is the column on the right).
Concept 1 Homepage
Concept 1 Homepage
Concept 1 Content (inner) page
Concept 1 Content (inner) page
CONCEPT 2
This one is all about the eye candy really. I thought that the best way to engage an audience that is looking for making a living out of Graphics in the Reno Tahoe Area was to create something that catches the eye with a young trendy feel (I think). I did not used the official colors, or typography that is suggested by the Marketing department. The font used in the rough is the actual font used in the official site to connect it a little bit more with the institution. I need to work more in the imagery (which is used as an example and might not be the final imagery used for the final version).
Concept 2 Homepage
Concept 2 Homepage
Concept 2 Page
Concept 2 Page
As always, your feedback is highly appreciated and I encourage you to say what you need to, - forget about manners and stuf - because it really helps and it's very important.
FJBO

FRANCISCO JAVIER BECERRA-ORTIZ

erika.murray

Re: Project III Roughs, by Francisco

Post by erika.murray »

I love the unity in both of your themes. I also like that you tied in the marketing campaign of the college. The solid color overlays on the images really caught my eye, and I think I prefer this design over the other. The Reno design is really eye-catching and vibrant, but the first design fits better with the college. I think the right side buttons on your design could be less dominant.
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

ktwy

Post by ktwy »

Your top design has a very nice academic feel to it. I really like the hue in your images. I would just make sure to leave space for all your links, but other than that it looks awesome!

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Nice! I like the simple color coding of your first design. The second one is a little too busy and cluttered for my eye.

Great work with the hashtag. It integrates social media (in this case Twitter and Instagram) without being too in your face, begging for likes. As I mentioned previously, I really like the color coding. All of your selected colors work well together and the color cast serves to visually separate everything into neat little sections. The user's eye is then drawn to sections they might be interested in. The background photos add a great texture to the whole thing too, keeping it from getting too sterile. Good carry through on your inner page design as well. It keeps so many common elements, it's easy to see how they interrelate and won't jar a user's eye. Nice choice on the typography as well. You've got a clean sans-serif that's not too cold. Blending your navigation with your layout is an intriguing idea. It took me a second to see it, but once I did, it works.

The leading on your inner bodycopy is a little tight. Make sure to keep a consistent top padding on your giant right navigation buttons.

Nicely done, sir!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Pearl_Underwood

Post by Pearl_Underwood »

Francisco,

I think they are both visually appealing. I like the colors, and layout of the first option. The second one is also nice, I like the way you incorporated the mascot, but I'm not feeling the #. Other than that, you did a great job!
~Pearl Underwood~

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

Nice work! I personally like your first design more than the second. The imagery you have chosen really resembles the college itself. I'm also fond of those transparent boxes and the color change from page to page. I would definitely enlarge the Graphic Communications headline though, it seems a bit small.
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

Hi,

Concept 1 is a stronger design because the homepage is easier to see. The design's color scheme and the sketch-style background portray the visual arts "doodling in class" concept well. The design of the homepage and the overview page are similar which is easy on the eyes. The text in the gray bar at the top would be more readable with more weight to it or an increase of size.
Melissa Peel

susielang

Post by susielang »

I really like your first layout. Good way to integrate TMCC into your design. Colors are working well. Nice academic field to it.
Susie Lang

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

I adore both designs a lot, but the first one seems to pay off more. I love your use of colors and organization, especially with incorporating the navigation. I kind of feel like your top bar could be a darker gray, however. It's easy to miss as it is and doesn't stand out all that much, especially when compared to the dark blue Overview bar. Making it darker would also help the greyed-out overview image on the right stand out a bit more.
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

I Like both of your design they are looking great and are something differant. I want to tell you which one is better but i am having a hard time picking between the two. For template one you are going to need alot more space as you still some other pages on your website. The second design the nav bar is hard to read and see agaist the images.
Kyler Rose