Project 3 Preliminary

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
Cassiebowers

Project 3 Preliminary

Post by Cassiebowers »

Here are my designs for Project 3. The first is more colorful and fun. I made it all in illustrator. I want it to be a one page website that scrolls. The second design is more simplified and I tried to keep with TMCC's green color scheme. When I researched college websites most of them where kinda boring and almost all of them were similar in design, so I tried to do something different and focused a lot more on graphics in my designs.
Attachments
project_design_1_home.jpg
project_design_1_inner_page.jpg
project_design_2_home.jpg
project_design_2_inner_page.jpg
Cassandra Bowers

susielang

Re: Project 3 Preliminary

Post by susielang »

Go with the first pair. Your illustrations are great. The colors are very cool. And I think it is a good representation of the program. Looks very creative.
Susie Lang

erika.murray

Post by erika.murray »

I love the layout that you made in Illustrator! It has a really flat look to it which is stylish. I think it has more character than using photos. I think you could work on unifying the color schemes you will be using for each page, but otherwise the layout looks great. Awesome work!
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

ktwy

Post by ktwy »

You HAVE to go with the first layout!! It is so cool! I love the color scheme, the typefaces, the gradients, everything!

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

Your first layout is awesome, I love the day and night theme to it. I also love the type face you chose, it's so pretty. I might do away with the bottom footer block and extend the image down further.
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

chaytothet

Post by chaytothet »

I really like what you've done with the first layout, the colors are very striking. I was totally drawn to that one first!

Where will the navigation be?
-Chalyn

Just because my path is different doesn't mean I'm lost
-Gerard Abrams

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

As much of a fan of photo backgrounds and subtle textures as I usually am, I really like your first one best.

I think it's the paper texture. Both your home page and inner page look like they were created with construction paper, South Park style. It's a neat look and one that should be encouraged. It really puts the "graphic" in graphic communications. I like your choice of colors too. It looks like an '80s recreation of a '30s travel poster. Super bright and eye catching. I like the use of the distressed font for your page titles too. It keeps up the '80s retro feeling it has. Both of you typefaces work really well for what you are trying to do. Your bodycopy does a good job informing (great use of leading BTW) once the eye has been brought in by the title type and construction paper texture. Interesting choice on the hamburger navigation as well. It should work pretty nicely for what you're going for on your design. Lots of good jQuery solutions out there.

I'm not sure you really need the semi-transparent areas. I think your logo and type will stand out okay against the construction paper okay.

Excellent work, Cassandra!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

Hi,

Both designs are visually appealing, but in this case, design 1 is the stronger design. The colorful graphics and typefaces complement each other and are nicely contrasted by the white text. The design flows well. Even though the graphics are visually interesting, the home page design could include some information.
Melissa Peel

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

Wow, both designs are gorgeous but the first one with the gradients takes the cake! Your use of fonts is spot on and your colors are lovely!

The body copy feels a bit boring compared to everything else, however. A different font might help it out, or the inclusion of some subheads and/or little accents with color, like bulletpoints?
I do wonder what the nav looks like when popped out.
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

I Like both of your website templates, you can go either way. But if you pick the second Template, reduce the amout of screen size that green area takes up i feel it could be a bit smaller and still look good.
Kyler Rose