Project 1 - Preliminary Critique - Melissa Peel

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
breezy

Re: Project 1 - Preliminary Critique - Melissa Peel

Post by breezy »

Melissa, out of your two designs I like the second one better. The first one is a little plain but I like the colors, the second one is much more visually interesting and the design flows a lot better. I like your logo it is just a tad on the blurry side. Both have a lot of potential, good job!
"A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charlie Chaplin

Brianna Mick

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

Both of these are gorgeous designs!
I think I prefer the first one.
The second design nearly feels too busy, with how much texture the background image has. It takes most of the focus away from the text, to the point where even the shape of the large M can go unnoticed at first.
The first design could benefit from the center-most elements all being slightly enlarged, I feel. At their current size, the blurriness of the background kind of disrupts the readability or clarity of these elements. Your three nav buttons are also not spaced equally, with there being more space on the left of the "Photos" button than on the right.
In both designs, the horizontal stretching of the "GRC" and so forth text kind of feels out of place and disrupts the readability.
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================

Cassiebowers

Post by Cassiebowers »

Hi Melissa,

I really like both of your designs. They are both beautiful. The first one is more subtle and I like how the navigation bar and your name are in the middle of the composition. I really like the second one, I like how you blurred out the image in the background and how you used your initial as the main design. Maybe a little more contrast with the M and the picture inside it.
Cassandra Bowers

Jose_M

Post by Jose_M »

Peelio,
Both are good concepts. I prefer the first one because I like the centered and focus of the content along with the style of text and color background. The only thing I would say to adjust/improve is the background itself to give the viewer an idea of what's going on back there. I have to say out of all the home pages i've seen I look forward to this one the most.

Jose Macias.
Jose Macias.

Ltrueworthy

Post by Ltrueworthy »

The first layout is really cool and intriguing, kind of like you don't know what to expect when you 'enter' but the second layout is my favorite. Using green and black make a very bold statement which will give you more oohs and awws. I am curious if there is a way to make the M more prominent also I might make the TMCC logo a little smaller, just so it doesn't interfere with the main focus.

GOOD JOB!
Lea Trueworthy

CarnutianDragon

Post by CarnutianDragon »

Hi Melissa,

Wow! You have some really great designs. I'd say that my favorite is the first one since the colors really jumped out at me. Great use of blurring too, it makes the background really interesting and thought provoking. The only thing I would suggest is to make the text and buttons in the center larger. Right now they feel much too small.

Great work and I can't wait to see the finished product! :D
Sarah Alvarado

JulianEmme

Post by JulianEmme »

The second one is awesome I would go with that one. They are both very good, but the shapes being created in the second one and the use of balance and contrast are beautiful.
Julian Emme