Project 3 - Roughs

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
EduardoG

Project 3 - Roughs

Post by EduardoG »

Hi everyone,
These are my two roughs for homepage and student gallery.
Please share your thoughts on my roughs, and have a wonderful day.
Attachments
rough_01.png
rough_01_student_gallery.png
rough_02.png
rough_02_student_gallery.png
- Eduardo Garcia

Stephski

Re: Project 3 - Roughs

Post by Stephski »

Hello Eduardo,
Good job on both design, they look nice. I prefer your rough one. The background image of the campus looks very nice with your layout; In a way, it brings more dimension to your design. Your navigation stands out, it's clear and clean. Perhaps change the typeface used for the text/information. Since it is in uppercase it is not the easiest to read, you want the information conveyed to be easy to read. Great design though!
- Stephanie Kendziorski.

BreeAnn

Post by BreeAnn »

Hi Edwardo,

Nice designs. I would have to agree with Stephanie. The first design is the stronger of the two. I like the picture of campus in the background, and the headline font, it's very classic university. Consider changing the font for the body copy though, maybe a simple san serif. All upper case letters in a lot of writing, like multiple paragraphs is difficult to read.

Good work!
BreeAnn St.Onge

IvorHarvey

Post by IvorHarvey »

Hey!
This one is actually kind of hard for me! I like how in your rough1 design you used an entire image as the background for each page, but i like the slideshow idea of rough 2 instead of the boxed images. If you wanted to do both ideas, you could possibly have the slideshow for student work, and then the boxes for the instructor information?
I like the layout of homepage 2, and I think if you did the background like you added on rough 1 it could really work well. I also like how you managed to incorporate the TMCC green into both designs.
Ivor Harvey

EduardoG

Post by EduardoG »

Just to note:
The extra blank space is not apart of the design.

And just to critique myself,

For rough 1, would rather have the tmcc logo smaller, so width of the logo doesn't pass the width of the navigation boxes (just a detail that's would be irritating to see) and to center the "graphic communications" in the header in between the right edge and the navigation boxes.
- Eduardo Garcia

michelek

Post by michelek »

Hey Eduardo,

I like both but I like the first one the best with the image used in the background. The one thing that I'm not crazy about is all the green. I like it in the navigation but maybe add some transparency on the box, allow some of the image to show through. I would also think about a different font or not use uppercase throughout the page/website.
Michele K Ott

erose

Post by erose »

Hi Eduardo,

I would go with the rough 1 design. I like the background images (and how it's lightened) and the layout better. My suggestions would be, maybe a little margin or padding on the top of your nav bar, and maybe consider lightening the green containers (opacity) in the body of your page.

Great work!

elizabeth_mccurdy

Post by elizabeth_mccurdy »

Hi Eduardo,

Great work with both design!

I would go with the first design on top. I like the color, the background images, and the organization easy to read and see. My only suggestions is move all your work down, I feel like everything is on top to much and you have some space down but everything looks great 8-)
Elizabeth McCurdy

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

You've got some pretty good ideas going here, Eduardo. I especially like your Rough 1.

The pictorial background is very strong. It immediately establishes the TMCC campus as well as a little of the scenery around it. It also adds texture to your design and gives it a professional university look while muting TMCC's terrible colors. I also like your page header/navigation typeface. Very fitting with an educational website. The way you've placed the top bar and navigation bar gives the site immediate structure as well. Nice use of TMCC's terrible colors to establish contrast there as well between the white top bar and the lime green menu. Your navigation is well placed and easy to use too.

As much as I like your type for the site title, page title, and navigation, it does not make for a good bodycopy. I'd recommend a good sans-serif type for your bodycopy and footer text. Watch your vertical margins a little bit on your bodycopy area, it seems a little cramped at the top and bottom. I'd also move the navigation down from the top slightly as well.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173