Project 3 Prelim

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
BreeAnn

Project 3 Prelim

Post by BreeAnn »

Hi all,

For the design 1, I was trying to keep the TMCC website page layout, the photo on the home page isn't mine and I plan on taking my own for the final. Design 2 seemed like fun so I did it. I've kept color out of both designs on purpose but the addition of other information will change that.
Attachments
prelim_proj3_des2_home.jpg
prelim_proj3_des2_page2.jpg
prelim_proj3_des1.jpg
prelim_proj3_des1_Fac.jpg
BreeAnn St.Onge

Stephski

Re: Project 3 Prelim

Post by Stephski »

Hello BreeAnn,

I love your second design, it's beautiful. The simplicity of the colors is a great advantage as it allows the user to locate information easily (I think). The use of a large image like you did is perfect to compensate with the minimalist aspect. I don't see what could be changed... Do you intend to add some color to the active page so the user knows where he/she is at?
- Stephanie Kendziorski.

IvorHarvey

Post by IvorHarvey »

hey! I have to agree and say that I think the second design works better than the first. I like the easy navigation and the use of the large image on the first page (you could possibly do the slideshow of images here.) I know you said that you're waiting to add color to the designs, are you going to go with the TMCC green or another color?
Ivor Harvey

EduardoG

Post by EduardoG »

Hi BreeAnn,
both of your roughs are interesting, and I would go with your "prelim_proj3_des1" rough.
Your rough is simple and appealing!
Advice would be to reduce size of header, doesn't need to be that big.
Add a brighter color scheme, since the black and white (or gray) is a bit bleak.
And to change the font for the "Graphic Communications" and headers, since it doesn't have much readability.
- Eduardo Garcia

michelek

Post by michelek »

Hi BreeAnn,

I really like your second design, nice, clean and minimalist. Maybe add a pop of color, also a simple black and white image to the background to keep with the clean look. The navigation works very well across the top, easy to find and move around the website.
Michele K Ott

erose

Post by erose »

Hi BreeAnn,

I think your design 2 looks nice. The colors with the black & white have a crispness to it, giving it a real WOW factor. I like your design 1 much better. For me personally, the black, white and gray with the 'real-life' colors of the photo is awesome. My only suggestion for design 2 would be to maybe use color photos of the instructors on your faculty page to give it a little more pop.

I think you could go with either one and not go wrong! :D

elizabeth_mccurdy

Post by elizabeth_mccurdy »

Hi BreeAnn,

I think both design looks good but your second design looks better. The gray colors, the picture and the organization is great and easy to read and navigate. I just feel like its need a little more color to finish your great work.

Great work ;)
Elizabeth McCurdy

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Hm, I see parts in each of these designs that may be combined into a better whole here.

All in all, I like the simplicity and cleanliness of your Design 2 better. It's very geometric and well laid out. The multiple lines of demarcation remind me of crop marks. It also gives it a sense of depth. Layers upon layers. The navigation is well placed and easy to use and the top bar is well separated from the content. The layout of the degree requirements on the inner page is bright and easy to follow. Judging by the sizing, it looks like it's well set up to display across a variety of monitors.

Now, it's big problem is a lack of color or a clash of colors. I think this can be solved by bringing in imagery and sample student projects from your first design. In particular, a large image (possibly a slider) on the home page and a smaller variation of that in your inner pages combined with other photography (of the campus, students working, etc.) salted around the design will go a long way toward bringing some color to it as well as reinforcing the text on various pages.

Nicely done.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173