Project 1 final design

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
erose

Project 1 final design

Post by erose »

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the great feedback! After reading your critiques I have decided to go with my cityscape design for my final design. I made some subtle but time consuming changes (omg, I got totally sucked in with selection tools while zoomed way in). I removed all of the artifacts in the sky, while trying my best to keep nice crisp lines around the buildings. I used a vertical gradient of light to dark blue for the sky, and then a radial gradient of white to transparent for the lower left corner. I removed some of the artifacts on the buildings, but I left some because I thought they looked good with the sky's lighting. What do you think?

I look forward to seeing what all of you did. :)
Attachments
Final design from rough02_project01.jpg
Final design from rough02_project01.jpg

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Project 1 final design

Post by Instructor »

Oh nice! You picked the 1930s one. Good call on cleaning up that gradient. It does wonders for it.

The backlighting is still strong like a cool, mysterious sunset. Your type works even better against the cleaned up gradient. The navigation is well placed, large and easy to use. Right aligned navigations can sometimes be tricky, but you pull it off well here. You also used a non clashing version of the TMCC logo which is nice. You really put contrast to good use in this thing as well Nice use of blues to highlight and shadow different areas to move the eye around the composition.

My only real issue is that I think it might have looked a little tighter if your bodycopy was justified. Otherwise you've got a really good looking website here.

Excellent work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Stephski

Post by Stephski »

Hello Ed,
I think you chose the best design, it should also be much easy to code. Honestly, everything looks great, I can't find anything wrong with your design. It all works very well: your navigation and name stand out, your bodycopy is legible, and you have chosen a beautiful background image.
- Stephanie Kendziorski.

michelek

Post by michelek »

Hi Ed,

I really can't find anything wrong except the body text could be justified. Other than that I really like how everything works together. Nice!
Michele K Ott

KKentera_5000

Post by KKentera_5000 »

Hey Ed! Yeah, this design is really working for you, it resonates sophisticated design. I think what I like best is the psuedo-moon effect gradient thing at the bottom left and how it works with the lighting of the buildings adjacent. Great Job!

I think the only thing I would play with a lil' would be the line lengths and justification of the body copy.
Kevin Kentera

BreeAnn

Post by BreeAnn »

Hey Ed,

I'm impressed with how clean that image got! You really spent some time on that! I'm curious how it would look with some of the buildings a little more clean like the sky. Nice work!
BreeAnn St.Onge

ZeraOtaku

Post by ZeraOtaku »

hey Ed!
I love the old school 50's feel of this design and I love the colors they look great! I would say it's really hard to ready your type on your body, maybe make it bolder.

IvorHarvey

Post by IvorHarvey »

The overall design of the layout works really well with the use of different font colors over different areas of your background image. The black stands out against the lighter blue, and the white is easy to read on the black areas. The larger font is stylized, but still easy to read and it doesn't compete with the body copy typeface.
Ivor Harvey