problem from last class

Got a question for your instructor or classmates? Found a neat technique you want to share? Post 'em here.
zelouzelou

problem from last class

Post by zelouzelou »

This is Charlie and not Kathleen. I can't get on her wifi.

Anyways, you had a problem with the logo pushing down all the other divs last class and couldn't have it overflow and cover the lover divs. You said you would figure it out and post, I was hoping you had figured it out because I am having the same problem with my logo. My last resort is I will shrink it to fit in the top container like you did in class, but I would like to have it cover part of my navigation area. Thank you.
Kathyleen Bullard

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: problem from last class

Post by Instructor »

I haven't gotten a chance to really hit it as hard as I would like. I'll mess around and see what I can find. I'll post the results here.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Took a moment to play around with it again and grab a solution. After dinking around with having it in the top bar for a while, I stuck it in my navigation container and then used negative margin to specify it's location. Looks like it works pretty well.

You can grab my files for reverse engineering at the following location:

http://grc175.com/images/grc_175_class_ ... -17-11.zip

I suspect something will work similarly for you CharlieKathleen.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

MadBroChadBro

Post by MadBroChadBro »

Awesome. Thank you.
Charlie Lipon
"Why you mad Bro"

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

No prob, CharlieKathleen.

Ravana

Post by Ravana »

I missed last class, so I'm not positive if I'm understanding the problem, but I think I know what you were trying to do. The solution you want is z-index and position in CSS I believe. For instance, my project 2 has the logo overlap the nav bar, and that's what I used. Remember, the parent container needs to have position assigned as well or the positioning won't work right (so give the parent container position: relative) and also I like to give the thing being overlapped a z-index as well, which of course means it needs a position too. If that doesn't make sense, check my project 2 CSS - forgive me for the messy code, it was a bit rushed. ^_^

http://grc175.com/student/fall_2011/law ... styles.css
This post has been brought to you by the letter X, the number 5, and Larry Rubald.
"It's irony at a base level, but I like it." ~Bill Hicks