Project3 preliminary critique

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
raoki

Project3 preliminary critique

Post by raoki »

First of all, I deeply apologize to all my classmates and Michael for the outage... I'm so sorry. I'll bring some candies or snacks next week so please forgive me :'(

Here are my two designs. For my first design, I focused to make them clean and more informative.
The second design is more visually interesting as required for this project.

first1.jpg
first2.jpg
universe.jpg
universe2.jpg
Remi Aoki :D

lornrocks

Re: Project3 preliminary critique

Post by lornrocks »

I think both design possibilities are very strong. The first one is nice because it's very modern with the photographic header and the layout. The second one is very graphically strong and has a great color scheme and great font choices. I think which one you decide to go with is up to you.

I honestly don't have any negative feedback because both of your design choices are easy to navigate, easy to read, and intriguing to look at. Good job!

And don't worry about the outage, we all make mistakes sometimes.
Lauren Solinger

Joe_Morales

Post by Joe_Morales »

Firstly HOW COULD YOU HOW CAN WE EVER FORGIVE YOU!!!!! just kidding its totally fine. :lol:

Now on to the designs I agree both concepts a very strong and either could be used I like the contemporary style of your blue design but Im sorta leaning slightly more to your second because it reminds me of outer space and who doesn't like space? :D my one critique would be id adjust your classes image it is a clever idea but id refine it a bit more i think its a little hard to read but i like where the idea is going over excellent work!
Joseph Morales

rmiyashiro

Post by rmiyashiro »

It'd be quite convenient if you could "accidentally" shut the forum down again when the final is due, but only if I'm not finished with my project by the due date.

Both designs are neat. The first design (the blue one) I find more appealing than the green and black one. My only concern is that the home page colors are very similar to the UNR colors.
Ryan 'Danger' Miyashiro

dbranby

Post by dbranby »

Hey, Remi! Gotta say I like the Universe version better, as it is more cohesive page-to-page and picks up the TMCC brand vibe nicely. Good luck with your build-out!
— David Branby

dnorwood

Post by dnorwood »

They are both ok, but I like the Universe one better. The first one is pretty generic and could be used for any TMCC program. The universe one has really good contrast and is more visually interesting. I think tho, you could maybe do more with all of that black. Maybe add in a few small pictures of what GRC students do. Mask and blur out the edges and they will look like they belong there.
Good luck,
Denise
Denise Norwood

ravens.way

Post by ravens.way »

Both of your designs have possibilities but I like the one with the universe the best. Your designs are easy to read and have a nice use of space. The colors you have chosen work well together on both of the designs.
Gwendolyn Jones-Gailey

kaycee_weddell

Post by kaycee_weddell »

Both designs turned out well but I am loving the blue concept the best. It looks like maybe with that long layout you might be trying to use some paralex scrolling, if not maybe that is a new idea for you:) This concept is well thought out and the use of space is really nice. It creates a really organized and professional look and feel. Great job!
Kaycee Weddell

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

rmiyashiro wrote:It'd be quite convenient if you could "accidentally" shut the forum down again when the final is due, but only if I'm not finished with my project by the due date.
No! Bad, Ryan. Bad! Image
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Huh, interesting. Usually I'm all about that contrast, but I actually prefer your first design better.

It's a very clean layout that looks super professional. It has just perfect use of margins throughout. Everything seems to be the perfect amount of distance from everything else. I like the large image slider area at the top. The navigation is easy to see and use. Nice use of an underline to mark the page location and perhaps as a rollover. The typography is well chosen and emphasizes the clean theme you have going on here. I like the use of blues and oranges going on here rather than the TMCC colors.

I'm not sold on the font you used on your inner page course chart. I'm having difficulty reading it. It seems to smear together at that size. Maybe try your bodycopy font. Also to enhance the cleanliness of your design, try left justifying all your bodycopy. Aslo, don't forget to bring some imagery in on your inner pages. I'd also use different icons than DNA. Maybe make some art/design appropriate ones.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173