Website for my other class...

Discuss anything related to graphic and web design/programming here.
Ravana

Website for my other class...

Post by Ravana »

So, I'm also taking CIT 152, which is a web scripting class (mostly javascript). And I finally got around to having some time to put together an actual design for it (I don't want to talk about the 5 minute monstrosity I originally built) and I was wondering if you artistic types would be so kind as to play the critic for me? (You can safely disregard the various projects/exercises, as they don't use the design and many of them don't do much.)

You can find it here: http://frostfire.dnsdojo.net/cit152/

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions! :)

(@Michael: this is that Mondrian site you saw me playing with on Monday. :D )
Last edited by Ravana on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post has been brought to you by the letter X, the number 5, and Larry Rubald.
"It's irony at a base level, but I like it." ~Bill Hicks

MadBroChadBro

Re: Website for my other class...

Post by MadBroChadBro »

Nice website. The chapters font is hard to read. I think I would make it the same color red as the other type.
Charlie Lipon
"Why you mad Bro"

Lundholm

Post by Lundholm »

I took that class. You're in for some exciting lessons.
I like the site by the way. Gets the job done effectively.
- Nathan Lundholm

smith206

Post by smith206 »

That class is a waste of time and money. I took it for a month and couldn't stand it anymore. The book is 3-4 years old... nuff said. I learned more javascript with a 25$ subscription to lynda.com than I ever did or would have done in that class. Seriously I think most of the cit classes are garbo when it comes to being up to date. Apart from that rant. I like the site, I think some of your letter spacing needs to be fixed. It know what your are going for to make everything look square but with type it just looks bad that spread out. Everything in the middle seem muted and bland. I thought it was just from being a background but all you type and roll overs still look muted to me. Brighten it up and fix your spread out type and it could start working nicely.
Kyle Smith

Ravana

Post by Ravana »

The book is annoying.... but it fulfills a degree requirement, so.... So far the only javascript I've learned was in the last couple chapters, mostly the last one. (Some DHTML but mostly AJAX) Which is really just how JS integrates with other tech. ;)

You are not the only person to say that about the letter spacing. I still think the odd spacing can work.... but maybe use fatter type, or more letters in some cases. I've tried it with uniform spacing, and thus a ragged edge, and it honestly doesn't work as well as it currently does in my opinion.

As for the color, I started with a bright red. It screams. Painfully. That said, maybe a happy medium can be found....
This post has been brought to you by the letter X, the number 5, and Larry Rubald.
"It's irony at a base level, but I like it." ~Bill Hicks