[Project 2] Live and running!

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
SerenDark

[Project 2] Live and running!

Post by SerenDark »

I gave it time, so now here we are.

http://www.grc175.com/student/fall_2017 ... index.html

OKAY SO. Whew. Project 1 seems to work just fine in Firefox or Google Chrome. Project 2 however, only works properly in Chrome. So, I highly recommend that you use Chrome for intended viewing! Seriously, Project 2 is a mess in Firefox. The custom font doesn't load, the navbar disappears, and some elements are shifted around??

Project 2 doesn't load correctly from Project 1's about page but I have corrected the issue and reuploaded! The server is slow at updating so it still doesn't work, but it is fine.

I ended up changing it a bit from the final design layout; I decided that an ever-present nav bar looked better than the popout hamburger menu.
And, of course, the Project 3 link in Project 1 does not work.

The sites seem to work just fine in Chrome across two different monitor sizes. I can only hope that this remains a universal, especially on the school's Mac's, and especially with my custom fonts.

EDIT: I have resolved most of the issues. So, everything links correctly. My custom font finally seems to load in every browser. The only issue remaining is that the navbar seems to disappear in Firefox? It loads perfectly in Chrome. Presuming that the navbar does load, the gif is pushed further downwards on the page and does not overlap any of the body type.

EDIT 2: All problems have been resolved, as far as I know. Now to wait for the server.
Last edited by SerenDark on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

Moderator for DreadedCone's Twitch channel & Discord server.
Illustration, design, and Dark Souls game enthusiast.

====================

SerenDark

Re: [Project 2] Live and running!

Post by SerenDark »

Ah, my Project 2 has a problem: the custom font does not load properly in any browser on Macs, which also messes up other visual elements. I'll work on fixing that sometime soon.

EDIT: All problems resolved.
Last edited by SerenDark on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

====================

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Zombocom. That's a meme I've not heard in a long time ...

I see you went with an "Over 9000" reference as well. Really? Image

Your contrast really works well on this thing. I like the diseased feel the interplay between the black and the green causes. The oozing ichor above your title at the top of your content area works really well. The smeared spatter texture behind your content only reinforces it. I like your font choices for your bodycopy and your "Loading" screen. The typewriter font makes the whole thing look like the ravings of a madman and the jaggy font for the loading area adds to the shattered, out of whack mind and world feel you're going for.

You probably want to stick a transparent background behind your loading Zombie. He's clipping the content in some places. I also think you have a font too many. The Garamond is just a little too sane for this thing. I think your jaggy "Loading" font would have made for a better headline/navigation font.

Nicely done.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

Instructor wrote:Zombocom. That's a meme I've not heard in a long time ...

I see you went with an "Over 9000" reference as well. Really? Image

Your contrast really works well on this thing. I like the diseased feel the interplay between the black and the green causes. The oozing ichor above your title at the top of your content area works really well. The smeared spatter texture behind your content only reinforces it. I like your font choices for your bodycopy and your "Loading" screen. The typewriter font makes the whole thing look like the ravings of a madman and the jaggy font for the loading area adds to the shattered, out of whack mind and world feel you're going for.

You probably want to stick a transparent background behind your loading Zombie. He's clipping the content in some places. I also think you have a font too many. The Garamond is just a little too sane for this thing. I think your jaggy "Loading" font would have made for a better headline/navigation font.

Nicely done.
Thank you very much!

So, about the fonts. There are supposed to only be two of them: the typewriter font and the font in the "Loading". The navbar and main "ZOMBOCOM." were supposed to be the same fancy font as in the Loading, but I hadn't linked the custom font correctly it turns out. The issue has been resolved and all fonts should now load properly, once the server catches up. However, there is another issue: the navbar doesn't seem to load in Firefox, but it does in Chrome. When it does load, the zombie gif is pushed down farther on the page and positioned properly to where it does not clip through anything that it shouldn't.

I don't know what to do about this. I also don't know how it looks on Macs; I believe, in any browser on them, the navbar might also be gone? Chrome on Mac had the font issue when Chrome on Windows did not, and I only have Windows at home. So, my website looks and works all fine and dandy in my Chrome, but very well could still be messed up for everyone else, like it is in my Firefox. Hmm.

EDIT: On a closer look, the navbar does load, but only for a brief second before disappearing. I think I have some other leads on what the problem might be; I am messing around currently.

EDIT 2: I have it mostly resolved, I think. It turns out that my background image was covering it sometimes? The navbar now shows up properly and the zombie gif has been adjusted for this weirdness. I'm not sure if the navbar buttons are clickable, though -- they are in Chrome but not Firefox. Huh. I think, technically, while now visible it's still being "covered" by the background image. I need to figure out how to bring it up on top better.

EDIT 3: It has been resolved in full now, it seems. A position:relative; was all I needed, it turns out, in the CSS for the nav. The up-to-date files have been uploaded to the server.
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

====================

SerenDark

Post by SerenDark »

The next steps are for me to do media queries and favicons, methinks.
=== Olivia Putnam ===
SerenDark on:
Steam, Twitch, Discord

====================

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

SerenDark wrote:The next steps are for me to do media queries and favicons, methinks.
Good to see you working on it and messing around with your code! Image Yes, feel free to play with favicons and media queries. I give you this hosting space to mess around.

Don't forget to leave feedback for everyone else on their threads.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

chaytothet

Post by chaytothet »

HERE'S THE REAL POST! Yay!

Lookin' good, also left a comment on your other one, and am too lazy to copy and paste.

All in all good work. :)
-Chalyn

Just because my path is different doesn't mean I'm lost
-Gerard Abrams

erika.murray

Post by erika.murray »

Your home page looks awesome! When viewing in chrome I do see some type running off the boxes, but overall the layout is very clean and magical. As for Zombo.com, I’m glad that you went with the green layout. The zombie gif is a nice addition!
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray

selvster5000

Post by selvster5000 »

Beautiful home page, I love the castle on it and that mystical feel it gives me, although it does take a sec to upload.
The color schemes work very well for both layouts and I love the moving zombie. I can't even imagine the work that went behind that! AHHHH great job!
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

Peelio

Post by Peelio »

Hi,

Yay, the live sites are ready for viewing! The overall design of your home portal page looks neat and solid except for a few minor issues of where page elements overlap. (see attachment) Besides the minor things, the design is functioning and looking great. The Zambo site is easy to navigate. The newzletter page is fun.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Melissa Peel